British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
joey

1699 farthing

G'day All

I bought a 1699, Wiliam 111, 2nd issue farthing the other day.I was going to put it in latest acquisitions but I have not received it as yet.I thought I would get a bit of a head start with its Peck number(thats how I try to arrange my farthings,as per Peck numbers).Peck seems to assign these W 111 farthings mainly by the reverse,ie no stop after date-681,unbarred A's in BRITANNIA-684 & unbarred last A in BRITANNIA-685.On this coin there is no stop after the date and one or both A's may be unbarred,or if it is just some junk on the coin.This I will find out when I have the coin in hand. The obverse has me a bit baffled. The position of the S and stop in GVLIELMVS is different from any I could find on the internet or on Pecks plate 11.Also the position of the stop after TERTIVS in relation to he bust seems to differ from most.Any thoughts would be appreciated.post-5231-099786200 1316428932_thumb.jpg

post-5231-067926700 1316428889_thumb.jpg

G'day All

I bought a 1699, Wiliam 111, 2nd issue farthing the other day.I was going to put it in latest acquisitions but I have not received it as yet.I thought I would get a bit of a head start with its Peck number(thats how I try to arrange my farthings,as per Peck numbers).Peck seems to assign these W 111 farthings mainly by the reverse,ie no stop after date-681,unbarred A's in BRITANNIA-684 & unbarred last A in BRITANNIA-685.On this coin there is no stop after the date and one or both A's may be unbarred,or if it is just some junk on the coin.This I will find out when I have the coin in hand. The obverse has me a bit baffled. The position of the S and stop in GVLIELMVS is different from any I could find on the internet or on Pecks plate 11.Also the position of the stop after TERTIVS in relation to he bust seems to differ from most.Any thoughts would be appreciated.post-5231-099786200 1316428932_thumb.jpg

For early milled, especially copper, you're now enquiring in the area of minor die varieties. There are so many of these that they are largely unrecorded. This era does mark distinct errors, e.g. missing letters, wrong letters, clear overstrikes, presence or absence of stops. Minor positional changes are neither here nor there.

Hope that helps.

I agree so many variations in this series, you will be better matching up early milled farthings with Colin Cookes collection, he managed to list a vast majority of the varieties in his various lists

I agree so many variations in this series, you will be better matching up early milled farthings with Colin Cookes collection, he managed to list a vast majority of the varieties in his various lists

Thanks Peckris & Colin for your input.I did look at Colin Cookes collection,but only the 1699's.There are 13 of those,1st & 2nd issue.After reading your replies I revisited the site and looked at all W 111 dates(69 examples not counting the patterns/medalets).I found 1 example of the S stop of GVLIELMVS the same as mine,but it was a 1700,CC 514,and a lot of the other lettering was different.Oh well thats another project. To try and get as many different variations as I can. :unsure: Thanks again.