British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Silent Value

1670's Charles The Second Farthing.

Hello Forum, this is my first thread as a new member; so here we go!

I have a difficult to discern date on an 1670's Charles The Second Farthing...

I cannot quite make out the last number, and I've looked at it with a x4 magnification eye piece...

It's actually a stunning example, found in a gravel path, not more than five inches down; a beautiful patina, good detail with an old, possibly personally inflicted cut upon his cheek..the lettering is still in good relief, the field is burnished and shines like well polished bronze..It is my favorite.

But it bugs me! as the first to be produced of this grade was a proof! in 1671. If that is the case, then this is a rarity even more so.

The other Charles the second farthings are all corroded, this appears to have a thicker flan; which might explain why it lasted so long...

Has anyone known of a proof, or pattern Charles the Second Farthing to come to light?

Thanks for your time Forum.

H L.

I cannot quite make out the last number, and I've looked at it with a x4 magnification eye piece...

It's actually a stunning example, found in a gravel path, not more than five inches down; a beautiful patina, good detail with an old, possibly personally inflicted cut upon his cheek..the lettering is still in good relief, the field is burnished and shines like well polished bronze..It is my favorite.

But it bugs me! as the first to be produced of this grade was a proof! in 1671. If that is the case, then this is a rarity even more so.

The other Charles the second farthings are all corroded, this appears to have a thicker flan; which might explain why it lasted so long...

If the date can't be read and its not off centre...ummmm.

Please post a picture.

Has anyone known of a proof, or pattern Charles the Second Farthing to come to light?

H L.

If the date can't be read...oh dear...is it off centre?

I believe a picture is required.

Edited by Peter

If the date can't be read and its not off centre...ummmm.

Please post a picture.

H L.

If the date can't be read...oh dear...is it off centre?

I believe a picture is required.

It's just one number which is worn over half it's surface, ha ha....it looks either like a one, or a seven, hard to tell...I'll post a picture..

H L.

A picture speaks a thousand words :)

A high resolution scan could also be useful if you have a flatbed. (You can play with the settings to get a higher dpi for a zoomable picture)