British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest whatk8tydid

Advise: Dug up in back garden...

Guest whatk8tydid

At the weekend I uncovered 2 containers of mixed coins whilst digging in the back garden. There are about 400 the condition ranges a lot - some are covered in rust where the biscuit tin they were stored in has stained them. They date from 1885 until 1918 - Victoria to George V - and are mostly 1/2 crowns (but I haven't go around to looking though them all yet). Can anybody help and tell me..

1) Who should I contact to find out more about them? I presume they're not rare, but there are a lot!

2) Do I clean them and how? ( have just washed off about 70 in warm water so far)

Any help you could give would be great as I know nothing about coins... :rolleyes:

What an interesting find.

If the coins have been underground for a long time, they probably are not in the best shape. Luckily they seem to date from when coins contained silver, so they will have value for silver content at least.

Where are you and the coins, I'd like to have a look at them with a view to purchase. I'll offer my usual silver buying price at least, and the offer will be larger if any of them are in collectable conditions. It's probably best to clean them all with soap and water, but nothing else as cleaning/polished will destroy and collectable coins.

Guest whatk8tydid

Hi There Chris

It is exciting - buried treasure :D.I live in Hertfordshire.

I am going to clean the rest up and then at least I know what I have - I am estimating numbers at the moment.

A friend has recommended someone who I can speak to about them locally so I am going to speak to them first. Can I get in touch with you?

Katy

Katy,

Yes of course you can:

Tel: 0871 871 5122

email: cp@predecimal.com

I tell you what, this would probably make interesting radio!

How would you like to come to BBC Luton and tell the BBC Three Counties Radio listeners how you found the treasure and what it consists of etc etc? I could look at it on air and even arrange to purchase it on air (which would probably be a radio first!). I'm sure DJ John Pilgrim would be pleased to have you in for his afternoon programme. My next slot will be in early June.

Guest Peter_I'm_a_Guest

What an incredible find Katy - well done!!

I would love to know the story behind this i.e. who buried them? - why? - and why did they not come back for them?

Peter.

Curiously I inquire, does this fall under the "Treasure Trove" law, because of the number of coins and their precious metal content? Is there a date cutoff for "Treasure Trove" finds?

Guest Guest

What an incredible find Katy - well done!!

I would love to know the story behind this i.e. who buried them? - why? - and why did they not come back for them?

Thinking about this again & noting the date of the newest coin I wonder if the person who did bury them was a soldier of the first world war who - like my grandad's brother - never came back.

Peter.

1918 being the last year of the war it is plausible, but bear in mind as 1918 was the last year of the war the call up to war must have been pretty late if he was a soldier.

Katy has been in touch with me actually. She found a few newer coins too (50's) and thinks that the person that burried them could have been the father of the man she bought the house from. She knows that he is dead now, but the death was relatively recent I think. So, nothing as interesting as a soldier going to war and hiding coins before he met his fate I'm afraid!

Still good though!

I wish i'd found something like that!

I found a 1932 penny in the garden when I was about 12, while digging to plant potatoes. I was well chuffed with that, as you can imagine. Of course, it was corroded badly and worth less than a new penny, but I certainly wanted it to be a year newer!

I also burried a time capsule in about the same place, containing a few modern coins and bits and bobs, which I assume is still there now.

My father dug up a 1951 florin... well what's left of it. :D

I found a Canadian cent from the 1930s in my garden in Southampton. A soldier here to embark for D-day perhaps?

Also two blue marbles with white swirly bits...

We found Victorian bottles, an old greenhouse and quite a few other bits and bats too.

I live in a house, an English Tudor no less, that was built in 1933. I like to fancy that perhaps there is gold buried somewhere garage somewhere. I have almost thought a metal detector would suit fine.

I live in a house, an English Tudor no less, that was built in 1933. I like to fancy that perhaps there is gold buried somewhere garage somewhere. I have almost thought a metal detector would suit fine.

Is that you in the avatar? !

I live in a house, an English Tudor no less, that was built in 1933.  I like to fancy that perhaps there is gold buried somewhere garage somewhere.  I have almost thought a metal detector would suit fine.

Is that you in the avatar? !

With a name like Dave? :lol:

• Like 1

My mate found a 1922 half penny in school last week let him keep it it was in fine condition

Ah yes, Katy will be joining me with her hoard on Radio on the 10th June.