British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
palves

Help request - D. Afonso V Chinfrão

Hi everyone, 

A bit off-topic but, I think, still relevant. 

Together with a friend, we are conducting a study on the Portuguese coin Chinfrão (D. Afonso V 1438-1481). These coins often appear in the United Kingdom and B. J. Cook even argues that they might have had legal tender in England "Chinfraos seem to have had a not insignificant currency in early Tudor England, as a number of finds attest. (...) Perhaps Alfonso V's
chinfraos had, in some unrecorded way, been given a legal or tolerated status." in B.J. Cook "Recent Tudor Hoards"

I am coming to you to ask for any bibliographic references, findings or any other material related to the Chinfrão.

Thanks in advance. 

PA

well the coins back then were valued on silver weight, so a coin of similar metal, size and therefore, weight would be taken as legal tender, I see a few Metal detecting find lots on Ebay seem to have coins of Venice, so what we probably see are people trading, bring back the currency and use it. Remember also that Portugal is our oldest Ally.