British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Flanders Groot upcycled to Mary Groat!

I found this very interesting today.

This came with a load of other coins and had a label stating it was a Philip and Mary Groat with portrait of Mary only. I thought nothing of it at first because it's not in great condition, but on closer inspection the shield and cross looked wrong. On even closer inspection the legends also looked wrong - what's left of them. In fact, for a P&M groat they are totally wrong. It took me quite a while doing detective work (hammered aren't my thing really), trying to work out what it says after the very clear 'PHILIP' and on the back between the arms of the cross. There are a lot of tooling marks on the shield and the faint bust of Mary. As my eyes tuned-in better to the writing style of those days it gradually became clearer with a lot of googling that the reverse actually reads ...NOME DNI BENEDICTVM, which led me in a French direction and eventually helped decipher the obverse which instead of reading PHILIP Z MARIA, actually reads PHILIPP DEI G D BVRG Z COM FLAND.... It's Philip Duke of Burgundy (1384 - 1404) and the coin is a Flanders Groot (groat) which should look like the coin posted in the comments.

Someone at some stage, at least 150 years later and for whatever reason, has filed off what should be on the obverse (a lion with a flag) and has replaced it with a scratched out effigy of Mary in order to masquerade it as an English groat. That's a lot of effort to go to on a piece of silver that would have probably been readily accepted as cash at the time in its original form! Why?

DSCF4465.JPG

DSCF4467.JPG

• Like 2

And this is what the original Flanders Groot botdrager should look like.

flandersgroot.jpg

curious find Chris ...the scratches looks quite recent being not toned but maybe is the light ..

Edited by Matteo95

Those were the best pics I took out of a few. They show the Mary bust best, but they do look old (the tooling).