Who am I, who is 'Predecimal.com' and what assurances do I offer for anyone considering doing business through this website?
I take my business very seriously and will attempt to re-assure anyone considering doing business through this website in the paragraphs below:
Who am I?
I am Chris Perkins and I am solely responsible for this website, all it's content, maintenance and design. I am British and spend most of my time in Germany and the UK. I was born on the London/Kent Border in the South East of England and have been selling coins of one kind or another for over 15 years. Should you ever need to find me, I will always be at one of the addresses shown in the Full contact details area of this site.
Who is 'Predecimal.com'?
http://www.predecimal.com/, http://www.british-coins.com/, are the two main domain names I use to conduct business from. The main 'parent' if you like is Predecimal.com and has become the name for my business.
I started a coin website in 1999 when I noticed the lack of British coins available online. The poorly designed few websites that did offer coins had very little stock and often no pictures. As a collector at the time I got annoyed with these sites and set about designing my own site, at weekends and after work during the day. (I used to work in London, for an IT company http://www.bromcom.com/). In fact, one of the first guises of the current site was created on my work laptop while I was sitting in a launderette in Sidcup, Kent!
After the odd name change over the years and the addition or lots of content, my coin site evolved into predecimal.com and I must admit I'm quite proud of what it has become.
Over the years I have established links with other highly reputable coin dealers and collectors, mainly in the UK and USA and I sometimes offer some of their items for sale, in an attempt to provide everything for the collector in one place. Although I do not have anybody working for me and take full responsibility for everything on Predecimal.com.
What assurances can I offer to anyone considering doing business through this website?
It's tough when your not a multinational household name to earn a reputation, especially online, because anyone can set up a website for any purpose and start charging money right away! So how do you know this is above board?
Over the years it has become more obvious to me that generally people are skeptical about parting with money over the internet or sending something to someone they do not really know. Personally I have also sent money to people and ended up loosing it!
When any business is carried out through this website it is entirely with me that you deal with and in an attempt to re-assure potential customers I can provide the following assurances:
1. Over the years I have been a member of a number of trade organisations, specifically designed to provide assurances for the internet using public. These all work fine, but as of 2008 I am proud to have been proposed and accepted as a member of what should be regarded as the highest (and very industry specific) trade body that operates in my field: The British Numismatic Trade Association. Membership requirements are strict, and the members are regarded as some of the most professional coin dealers in Great Britain. I am still a member of the BNTA and this can be checked at any time on their website (I'm listed as Predecimal.com Inc. Rotographic Publications) Click the link below for more details.
2. I am the BBC 3 Counties radio, 'Coin expert'. (That in itself doesn't prove I'm honest and trust worthy you may say!), but If you need to verify my identity you are welcome to contact John Pilgrim, at BBC 3 Counties radio via the BBC website. Unfortunately I no longer have my phone-in slot as DJ John moved on to producing, rather than presenting. Fingers crossed that another regular radio programme will happen in the future. Link to BBC website
3. Since 2004 I accept credit cards through a Barclays Merchant bank account. To obtain a merchant account (a requirement for all websites that process card payments themselves - i.e. without using paypal or similar third party services) the business is obviously subject to checks and the requirements are logically, quite strict! Only trusted businesses can obtain a Merchant bank account - which is something very different to a normal bank account. Over the years that I have been processing card payments I am not aware of any security breaches or compromisation of customer data.
4. I offer a full no quibble returns policy. If I supply you with something you are not entirely happy with I will take it back and send you a full refund. This is my own simple common sense policy and I strictly adhere to it. In 15+ years and thousands of transactions only a handful of customers have felt the need to take advantage of this policy.
5. The forum contains a few comments from previous happy customers, although it's full of many thousands of coin related posts, so they may be hard to find. You can look at the forum by clicking here.
6. If you are still skeptical about using me to buy from, or to sell to, or have any other questions relating to using my website, please contact me. I will be pleased to provide you with reputable London coin dealers or International collectors that will be pleased to vouch for my honesty and professionalism. Email.
Thanks for taking the time to read this page. Chris Perkins, 14th May 2003
(updated 19th December 2005, 16th December 2010 and 28th July 2015)