British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Not the greatest photo but looks like an R or S (I'm not convinced there's a difference between the 2 varieties).

Posted (edited)

Some time ago we discussed the 1897 O.NE penny, and @Zo Arms was of the opinion that the dot was the result of a deliberate attempt to stem a spreading crack by drilling a small hole in it - link  

Bob's theory is echoed in "A handbook of Modern British Coins and their varieties 1797 - 1970" by Michael G. Salzman, and prior to that by Freeman in Coin Monthly October 1976. Here's a pic of the relevant note - No 90 - from page 96 the Salzman book.  

I have two F147's, with perfect dots of slightly different sizes. So maybe the operation was performed twice. Once to try it out, then again when it was realised a larger hole was needed.  

salzman 90.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

I would suggest 1 hole that gradually filled with grease etc, forming a smaller dot. Think die fill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zo Arms said:

I would suggest 1 hole that gradually filled with grease etc, forming a smaller dot. Think die fill.

Yep, more plausible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

A decent 1893/2 sold recently on Ebay for £175 - see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144097308499?ul_noapp=true

Strangely, it's now for sale at £500 from the same vendor...............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144118332001?hash=item218e1f3a61:g:GFQAAOSwM-xg3fL6

Very optimistic. They are not that rare, even in high grades. Mine cost £26 in EF.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Very optimistic. They are not that rare, even in high grades. Mine cost £26 in EF.

I'm not surprised at this, given how difficult they are to spot.

I've just listed a 1966 Freeman 2nd edition on ebay if anyone is interested. It's under books, not coins, so usual searches may not find it.

Freeman 2nd Edition 1966 Sized.jpg

• Like 2