British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

1701 Halfcrown, looks like it was historically lightly cleaned but it is still a nice example.

1701-halfcrown.jpg

• Like 5

My latest purchase. Looks even better in hand  and starting to tone.

Clipboard2.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
More info
  • Like 8

On 10/1/2018 at 6:35 PM, Nonmortuus said:

Another type gap filled:

1886 Sixpence

1886-sixpence.jpg

Nice :) was on my watch list i was disappointed when it sold

14 hours ago, rpeddie said:

Nice :) was on my watch list i was disappointed when it sold

Sorry! 😊 It looked too nice to pass up on even though I paid the same for it as the seller did for it and another coin.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:19 PM, Nonmortuus said:

Sorry! 😊 It looked too nice to pass up on even though I paid the same for it as the seller did for it and another coin.

😁won myself a die instead, I'm thinking 1 cent Victoria style but open to suggestions of a more accurate direction 

Edited by rpeddie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rpeddie said:

😁won myself a die instead, I'm thinking 1 cent Victoria style but open to suggestions of a more accurate direction 

Nice one !!

2 hours ago, rpeddie said:

My first thought was something from Hong Kong but that's just a rough guess.

I believe a Die Matrix there. Interesting for those of us that like the Gothic design. Interesting on the variation in proportions there.

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

I believe a Die Matrix there. Interesting for those of us that like the Gothic design. Interesting on the variation in proportions there.

yea agree with it being a matrix, looks quite worn and has some signs of use, searched all around the blank parts of the edges where the legend would normally be and there's no signs any residuals. Second die/matrix for the coin accessory collection :P

Picked up a couple of nice upgrades. First this Halfpenny - I know they are less popular here than the Pennies, but this one looks pretty good to me. I make it as Dies 11 and J, Freeman 321, but please correct me if I am wrong.

1875 HD 11+J 1 Red.JPG

1875 HD 11+J 2 Red.JPG

• Like 4

The other is this 1662 Crown without Rose. I could use some advice - in Spink I believe it is S3353 as it has no Rose and the edge is undated, but the book suggests this should be Coin alignment whereas mine is definitely medal. Any thoughts? Is this a variant listed elsewhere?

1662 Crown 2 Red.JPG

1662 Crown 1 Red.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice Paddy. :)

• Like 1

Got this a while back from Rob but I don't think I have posted it before (apologies if I have). Very hard in high grade 1923_sx_01_ref_01550_01_2400.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/9/2018 at 2:25 PM, Paddy said:

The other is this 1662 Crown without Rose. I could use some advice - in Spink I believe it is S3353 as it has no Rose and the edge is undated, but the book suggests this should be Coin alignment whereas mine is definitely medal. Any thoughts? Is this a variant listed elsewhere?

1662 Crown 2 Red.JPG

1662 Crown 1 Red.JPG

Coincraft's 1997 catalogue lists this date/denomination with both alignments - their numbers C2CRM-025  and C2CRM-30. According to them, there is a slight premium for your type, but not much!!

• Like 1

Another pickup in the job lots I have just finished sorting - 1865 Farthing but I think without the normal "5 over something". Am I right?

1865 F 1 Red.JPG

1865 F 1 date.JPG

• Like 1

Its been a while, thought i'd drop this one in here, no serifs on the OBV G's, or should i say, the serifs are not full

Screenshot 2018-10-16 08.49.55.png

Edited by azda
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rob said:

Hello stranger. :)

Looks ok. 

Morning Rob, i thought it looked ok also, so my first coin in about a year, i have my eye on another, but it's a little more expensive, and from Edward IV 😉

Nice one. :) 

Don't I know you from somewhere?

12 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Nice one. :) 

Don't I know you from somewhere?

Lol, i hope so.......

• Haha 1

Its been a while since I posted any new acquisitions. Pick this one up on eBay the other day for a reasonable price, another gap filled in my sixpence collection. I would grade this as GEF/AUNC am I about right, your thoughts, please.

1569852921_1928GeorgeVSixpenceRev400.jpg.fc098d41162478dd6f0807c8b58f8c96.jpg683687342_1928GeorgeVSixpenceObv400.jpg.f169ab306ac53021acebe81b4be12e42.jpg

• Like 3