British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

My first half-decent one of these, hopefully authentic!

1690_hc_gun_money_01_ref_01500_01_2400.j

• Like 8

Two more Sixpences added to the collection. A Christmas present to myself. Interested in what grade you would place on these if you can please. Also the 1904 has either a scratch or perhaps its a die mark on Obverse your thoughts please.

1903 Sixpence Rev Small.jpg1903 Sixpence Obv Small.jpg

1904 Sixpence Rev Small.jpg1904 Sixpence Obv Small.jpg

• Like 6

I think Eddie 7 had more pubes stuck in his teeth than on his napper.

When hair shows you are going in the right direction.:) I will even give you 2 Unc's...(waits to be shot down)

Not my favourite monarch, but if I could get a pair of Vickies that nice I'd be happy (temporarily maybe :))

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I think Eddie 7 had more pubes stuck in his teeth than on his napper.

When hair shows you are going in the right direction.:) I will even give you 2 Unc's...(waits to be shot down)

Thanks Pete that is great praise for you. :D

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Not my favourite monarch, but if I could get a pair of Vickies that nice I'd be happy (temporarily maybe :))

I am with you I do like Vickies as well. I am trying to do a date run in sixpences so had to get these.:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Two more Sixpences added to the collection. A Christmas present to myself. Interested in what grade you would place on these if you can please. Also the 1904 has either a scratch or perhaps its a die mark on Obverse your thoughts please.

A scratch can't be a die mark as one is incuse and the other raised.

2 minutes ago, Peckris said:

A scratch can't be a die mark as one is incuse and the other raised.

Thanks for the info its difficult to see in the picture. So have enlarged slightly the mark runs in the centre of the head down to the ear, will take a better one when it arrives.

1904 Sixpence Obv.jpg

11 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Thanks for the info its difficult to see in the picture. So have enlarged slightly the mark runs in the centre of the head down to the ear, will take a better one when it arrives.

Yes, I see it clearly now. Is it raised or incuse (looks incuse but you can never be sure from a picture)?

A couple of my recent additions:

1902-sixpence.jpg

Slabbed as MS64

1841-halfpenny-3.jpg

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 10

23 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

A couple of my recent additions:

1902-sixpence.jpg

Slabbed as MS64

1841-halfpenny-3.jpg

Very nice indeed! :)

• Like 1

For the last few weeks I've been upgrading my sixpence collection and ended up with 5 different 1887's from the top a young head, R over V withdrawn, standard withdrawn, R over I withdrawn and the final type. Still need the R over B and the JEB on the truncation to finish the series.

1887 Sixpences.jpg

• Like 6

Thats a really nice group of Vickies. I'm working towards the same but have for some reason been sidetracked by 3/ds of the same period.

I love the way the portraits are sceled so well accross the different coinage.

My latest additions to the unofficial farthing collection. These was bought over the last 6-8 weeks

IMGP3735 (2).JPG

IMGP3736 (2).JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sleepy said:

For the last few weeks I've been upgrading my sixpence collection and ended up with 5 different 1887's from the top a young head, R over V withdrawn, standard withdrawn, R over I withdrawn and the final type. Still need the R over B and the JEB on the truncation to finish the series.

1887 Sixpences.jpg

I am still missing the R over I but am now working to improve the quality of my coins.

I actually lied a little, another one turned up on Monday :) a very good week for me, both for under a fiver!

WIN_20171215_21_21_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171215_21_22_23_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I love the way the portraits are sceled so well accross the different coinage.

Interesting you should say that - Boehme originally didn't include that crown (there's a pattern penny in Peck showing the Jubilee Head but wearing the heavier crown of the Old Head). However the Queen insisted on the small lighter crown which does look a bit absurd perched on top of her head. It's one reason the JH series was so short, as that portrait was quite unpopular with the public.

I did an 'impression' in Photoshop of how the original JH might have looked, proportionally to the legend:

JH %22artists impression%22 (for predecimal).jpg

• Like 1

Great skills you have there!

I've often wondered if the JH and OH portraits were presented to her Maj at the smae time, as if she was determined to have the small crown for the JH, surely she must already have known what the OH portrait and crown was like?

It does look a little absurd, but at the same time 100+ years later, it kind of empitomises the view of the Queen in the 1880's too.

1 minute ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Great skills you have there!

I've often wondered if the JH and OH portraits were presented to her Maj at the smae time, as if she was determined to have the small crown for the JH, surely she must already have known what the OH portrait and crown was like?

It does look a little absurd, but at the same time 100+ years later, it kind of empitomises the view of the Queen in the 1880's too.

I think it's more a case of her being told that the JH was not popular so she 'bit the bullet' so to speak, for the OH. If you think about it, 6 years is a very short time for a portrait.

9 minutes ago, Peckris said:

I think it's more a case of her being told that the JH was not popular so she 'bit the bullet' so to speak, for the OH. If you think about it, 6 years is a very short time for a portrait.

For her it was - or that period anyway, YH lasted her 50 years - albeit with 4 portraits of minor amendments. I guess with the public saying it made her look like a penguin, she felt  the need for a change :)

• Like 1

Presumably this obverse used on an 1888 pattern crown was a response to the unpopularity of the Jubilee Head.

c2055 - 1888 pattern crown obverse cf. ESC2670.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Thanks for sharing that Rob, is it a combination of the 2, or the origins of both?

Not with you.

The Queen sat for the new portrait in June 1879 to be used with the Jubilee head design. In the next 3 or 4 years, various designs were proposed, but never accepted. The series of 12 pattern halfcrowns dated 1884 (cf. Norweb 622 & Adams 713-723) was the culmination of those proposed designs. If you read the blurb in the Adams catalogue, these were submitted to the Queen in August 1884.

The Jubilee Head coinage met with general disapproval on release, so the above design appears to be the first pattern design post-1887 with a view to replacing the replacement. This obverse die is paired with a standard 1888 G&D crown reverse of which four examples are known. Two obverses are noted for these 4 coins, 3 with and 1 without initials on the truncation. There is a fifth crown with FIVE SHILLINGS legend on the reverse which is dated 1890. This presumably has a signed die as the sequence should be the trial in lead above, made before the dies were hardened, followed by the unsigned crown, then the three signed ones after the initials had been added. The 1890 is obviously last. 

The veiled head portrait was definitely available by 1892 cf. ESC 2674 (360)

• Like 2

Thank you. I think I need to invest additional literature, and give up my day job. I'm starting to think I've left it far too late in life to be able to absorb all of the additional knowledge available for this subject!