British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

:D Ripper set I love it.The royal family maybe apt

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

:D Ripper set I love it.The royal family maybe apt

Bang goes your knighthood.

1834 Shilling courtesy of Rob, hoping to take more representative pics soon, but EF problem-free and toned in-hand and a significant upgrade on what I had :)

1834_sh_01_01_rp_coins_2400.jpg

• Like 10

Latest win from dnw. Lima halfcrown. Graded as better than extremely fine by them. Any comments most welcome. 

1.jpg

Edited by Sword
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sword said:

Latest win from dnw. Lima halfcrown. Graded as better than extremely fine by them. Any comments most welcome. 

1.jpg

Nice addition. Beauty it is. ?

I'm not sure about better than. There's too much wear to the lower part of the hair and the nose on the shoulder for my liking

• Like 1

Nice, but I would've guessed EF 'or near so'.

• Like 1

Very tidy coin with eye appeal for me, not better than EF though imo. I thought a few of their grades today were a little 'optimistic'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Very tidy coin with eye appeal for me, not better than EF though imo. I thought a few of their grades today were a little 'optimistic'.

That's why it is important to view coins in hand. A day spent viewing saves a lot of remorse later on. Descriptions are only ever going to be 'sort of accurate'. Practically as struck is not necessarily the same as practically as struck and Mint State rarely is. Even at lower grades the description is moot.

I'm never sure whether the tail is wagging the dog or not. Although one might assume that the estimates would be set by the auctioneer, vendors for the most part have a figure in their mind that they expect to receive. I'm sure that a high reserve is accompanied on occasion by a little tweaking upwards of the grade, because as long as the description is a reasonably accurate opinion in most eyes, there can be no comeback, and it is not allowed to set the reserve higher than the top estimate. Sometimes a coin needs a little help to sell. As always, know your market.

This was reflected in the number of passed lots today in the 'Coins from other properties' section, and indeed, the 1698/7 halfcrown mentioned in a thread somewhere here didn't sell. Ideally the auctioneer has complete flexibility on pricing and therefore starting price. Too often today I heard the phrase 'I need to start this at £xxxx', closely followed by 'ok, we'll pass on this lot'.

A straw poll of 25 lots I picked out and  subsequently viewed showed half a dozen marked down either half a grade or a full one, 1 marked up half a grade, and the rest I broadly agreed with. So on the whole it was reasonably accurate grading, albeit from a list that had been severely pruned just by looking at the images.

Another observation - 1 auctioneer, as observed at previous DNW auctions, never seems to offer an item at more than 20% below low estimate, whereas the other auctioneer consistently does ... reserves notwithstanding, to which we are not privy. I will say however I am normally very happy with DNW wins :) I am assuming that when they say they can't sell it for less, that is due to a reserve that has been placed by the seller.

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

Another observation - 1 auctioneer, as observed at previous DNW auctions, never seems to offer an item at more than 20% below low estimate, whereas the other auctioneer consistently does ... reserves notwithstanding, to which we are not privy. I will say however I am normally very happy with DNW wins :) I am assuming that when they say they can't sell it for less, that is due to a reserve that has been placed by the seller.

In the dnw terms and conditions, it does say that lots are automatically given reverses of 20% below low estimate.

Thanks gents, for you helpful comments. I was hoping to get an EF example and so EF would be fine with me. It would cheese me off if it is not quite EF though. 

Rob is right, I really should make an effort of viewing in person before bidding. 

In any case, I have spent my coin budget and it will be quite a long while before I will  buy another one. 

6 minutes ago, Sword said:

In the dnw terms and conditions, it does say that lots are automatically given reverses of 20% below low estimate.

Ah ok, well quite a few went for less than that!

Not all vendors set a reserve. Others do and so there are a few coins that have been in an auction or 6 because they want more than the market is willing to pay. Maybe one pass is ok, but after a few sales, you know what the coin is and don't bother looking at it when viewing. Every time it is costing the vendor a bit more in fees.

I certainly heard the words "I must sell this lot", implying that there was no reserve. I have to say I'm normally quite happy with the grades indicated - more so than LCA anyway. 

Maundy set

James II 1687.

2017-06-16-11-39-11.jpg

• Like 5

Lovely Maundy set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Lovely Maundy set.

Thanks Michael. 

Auction buy yesterday. Decided to wean myself away from Ebay and try a proper auction. ?

On 2017-6-14 at 10:05 PM, Rob said:

That's why it is important to view coins in hand. A day spent viewing saves a lot of remorse later on. Descriptions are only ever going to be 'sort of accurate'. Practically as struck is not necessarily the same as practically as struck and Mint State rarely is. Even at lower grades the description is moot.

Received my Lima a few days ago. The toning is not quite what I expected from the photo. The coin is toned a rather dark grey colour. It is evenly tone with the high points being the same grey colours as the fields (The only exception is a lighter toning around "ratia" of "gratia".) Although I guess the toning is not unattractive, the coin does need more light to view properly compared to my other silver coins which have light toning or are blast white. 

In future, I will make the effort to view in person before bidding unless the price is cheap.

Received my latest coin, a 1927 Crown today. Which I brought from Sterling & Currency, of Fremantle, WA. The obverse was photographed with no extra lighting which seems to give a more "natural" image while the reverse was a flat bed scan which seems lifeless in comparison. In hand the coin although toned still retains that .proof look especially the reverse.

1927 Crown.jpg

• Like 2

What grade would you give it, looks really nice. The obverse is the winner for me. Will you be photographing the reverse and re - posting so we can see the natural look on both sides.

I agree, looks remarkably "clean" at the cheek and brow as well as base of neck and top of ear on G5 there. Nice! I also would like to see more photos.

The reverse for your information. I'm trying to complete the 1927 set and now have the halfcrown and florin as well.and now looking for the shilling. sixpence and threepence. I saw a very ratty one on Ebay for GBP 60 which seemed a tad expensive. I am not sure if these proof sets came in the leather looking cases as well. If someone knows please let me know.

P1140790.JPG

• Like 2

My set, which wasn't re-constituted came in a red leather style case, not the card type.

5 hours ago, ozjohn said:

The reverse for your information. I'm trying to complete the 1927 set and now have the halfcrown and florin as well.and now looking for the shilling. sixpence and threepence. I saw a very ratty one on Ebay for GBP 60 which seemed a tad expensive. I am not sure if these proof sets came in the leather looking cases as well. If someone knows please let me know.

Gary D posted some interesting information about this a few years back. The 1927 set was issued in both cardboard and leather cases. The issue price for set in leather case was £1 and 1 shilling. The price for set in cardboard box was 15 shillings.

Guest ozjohn

Thanks Sword