British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

basecamp

Coin aquisition of the week.......

A £650 saving on the price I took for mine!

Well done indeed.

I got this new Half Penny at the Coin Exposition today in Cincinnati. It is a 1861 Half Penny, 6 over 6. I think it is Freeman 276. Even though it is not in great condition, I had never saw one in hand before, and had to have it. I don't think it is a "listed" variety, but it is noted in lots of articles.

My F-276 6/6 half penny close-up

post-443-12764107527_thumb.jpg

1861 F-282A 6/8

(image taken through a slab... so it's not too clear)

post-443-127641212322_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

1861 F-282A 6/8

Has anybody noticed how a photograph of a slabbed coin tends to look rather like a washing machine. Sorry, I just had to say that...

1861 F-274 6/6

BCC

Nice set of 1861 varieties! BTW...The F274 6/6, 2nd speciman rev. also looks like it might be a 8 over 6! Its hard to tell without a closeup of the 8 though!

1861 F-282A 6/8

Has anybody noticed how a photograph of a slabbed coin tends to look rather like a washing machine. Sorry, I just had to say that...

Well I hadn't noticed before you said, but now, I'll probably always think that about them.

1861 F-274 6/6

BCC

Nice set of 1861 varieties! BTW...The F274 6/6, 2nd speciman rev. also looks like it might be a 8 over 6! Its hard to tell without a closeup of the 8 though!

Good Observation....

When I emailed Michael Freeman a few years ago about this very fact, he responded that in reviewing some of his notes that he had a notation of 6/8 or 6 over HIGH 6.... He could not remember why he decided to enter it in his guide as a 6/8..... Remember, all he had to use was a magnifying glass, and not the large high resolution images that we have today...

So, yes, this might well indeed be the F-274A variety, which is what I have it classified as in my collection....

Latest acquisitions this week are a Freeman 74, 1863 die 4 Penny and an 1863 open 3 Penny.

The open 3 appears to be a variant on the one recorded by Michael Gouby (note the lack of a spike appearing at the tip of the horizontal bar)

post-4546-127646033119_thumb.jpg

post-4546-127646051849_thumb.jpg

Nice! Did you buy them at a coin Fair/shop, ebay, or a private purchase?

Nice! Did you buy them at a coin Fair/shop, ebay, or a private purchase?

Auction. The die 4 was an individual lot, the open 3 was among a vast tin of assorted GB and world :)

My F-276 6/6 half penny full reverse

That looks more like 6/8 - you sure it's 6/6?

Latest acquisitions this week are a Freeman 74, 1863 die 4 Penny and an 1863 open 3 Penny.

The open 3 appears to be a variant on the one recorded by Michael Gouby (note the lack of a spike appearing at the tip of the horizontal bar)

Are you a dealer, or are they for your personal collection ?

Are you a dealer, or are they for your personal collection ?

Yes I am a dealer, but these are for the collection which I hold jointly with my father. Pennies and Halfcrowns are the main areas we collect although we do have a Bronze collection from 1860 to 1956.

2 new aquisitions have arrived

post-5057-127659787785_thumb.jpg

post-5057-127659788872_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And the next

post-5057-127659793275_thumb.jpg

post-5057-127659794516_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My latest purchase an unusual error:

fvlqq9.jpg

It appears to be a struck through scrap error but the scrap has left a brockage image on the obverse. The only theory I can think off was a piece of scrap metal was fed into the dies with a previous coin it was struck by the reverse die which may have been positioned above, the scrap metal then fell onto the obverse die and this coin was the next one to be stuck. The scrap piece of metal with a partial impression of the reverse die then left an incuse partial brockage imprint on this coin.