British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

16 minutes ago, Sword said:

I think you have probably answered your own questions. People slab junk thinking they can make a profit by doing so: "I noticed a price tag on it of £49" 

NGC Grading is not cheap in the US.

Doesn't look like there is any"ethical customer service where they might say "stop" to the person asking such a token being slabbed" or you shouldn't see this token slabbed otherwise.

There is no reason to provide such a service. The TPGs say they will authenticate and grade a coin, and this is what their customers want.

No business would ever direct a potential customer away from themselves on the grounds that the customer would be stupid to use them, unless there was some form of payback - which isn't obvious.

3 hours ago, Sword said:

I think you have probably answered your own questions. People slab junk thinking they can make a profit by doing so: "I noticed a price tag on it of £49" 

NGC Grading is not cheap in the US.

Doesn't look like there is any"ethical customer service where they might say "stop" to the person asking such a token being slabbed" or you shouldn't see this token slabbed otherwise.

yes logically  what you say is the case this one does provide evidence for it.  I just wondered if anyone had experiences where something they sent was questioned by the company.  I was searching for experiences rather than answers, as you say I have answered my own on this one.  

Edited by DrLarry

I've been on the other side of the fence. When I started working for myself over 30 years ago, the handful of manufacturers each had their own little competitor in a former employee who had set up. If things got a bit technically complicated we would regularly suggest to our customer that such and such a person was the right tool for the job, depending on the instrument concerned. You didn't need to rule the world, just make sure the customer was happy, as it guaranteed he would return to you in the future.

Slabbing however is a different matter. It is much simpler, despite the TPG claims, and any collector could assign a grade based on an accurate appraisal if they took a bit of time to get up to speed. It isn't rocket science, which is why they are never going to look a gift horse in the mouth and will always do the job. To claim slabbing something was pointless would bring into question their whole raison d'etre. Hang on a minute..................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Unc-1893-2-Victoria-Penny/323461050495?hash=item4b4fc7f07f:g:B0IAAOSw7E1bn-zr

This is totally out of order.

In a CGS slab and he does not even own it.

UIN is 40402

The coin was sold at LCA  18/3/2018 LOT 2435 then put straight in a slab...I know the GUY who has it.

Wonder what he is going to send the buyer instead ☹️

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 4

Well this is a novel way to hide a fake..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-111-non-hammered-silver-coin-crown-metal-detecting-find-/352467371298

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Unc-1893-2-Victoria-Penny/323461050495?hash=item4b4fc7f07f:g:B0IAAOSw7E1bn-zr

UIN is 40402

The coin was sold at LCA  18/3/2018 LOT 2435 then put straight in a slab...I know the GUY who has it.

This is the seller, 'lionellancs' with whom I had a run in a few years ago, on eBay over a 1882 no-H penny. Steer well clear.

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

UIN is 40402

I've emailed the seller asking whether he could provide non-LCA pictures of the coin he is selling. It'll be interesting how he responds...

5 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

This is the seller, 'lionellancs' with whom I had a run in a few years ago, on eBay over a 1882 no-H penny. Steer well clear.

Another warning sign is that he only has 98% positive feedback. Out of 1427 feedbacks, this means 28 are going to be either negative or neutral. That's not good stats.

Can only see one in the last 6 months and unfortunately it's in Cyrillic script, so have no idea what the issue was. 

ETA: Just ran it through a Russian to English translation website, and it comes up "The seller sent an empty envelope. Money returned". 

Edited by 1949threepence

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

UIN is 40402

You can always let London Coins know that the seller is not the owner of the photographed coin and has used their images without authorization . Semra might want to do something about it. 

This gold sovereign looks value for money at a hefty 9 grams...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1869-queen-victoria-full-gold-sovereign-22ct-gold/183445718188

You need a space between grams... and https for the link to work.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, PWA 1967 said:

UIN is 40402

Sorry typo as just been pointed out to me UIN 42402 and says on the description was purchased at LCA on the date i mentioned 🙂

Also yes the coin in someone elses collection .

Edited by PWA 1967

55 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry typo as just been pointed out to me UIN 42402 and says on the description was purchased at LCA on the date i mentioned 🙂

Also yes the coin in someone elses collection .

Doesn't look like much 2 under that 3...

3over2.PNG

I dont have a clue as not seen the coin in hand ,although the differences in Gouby Ac and Gouby B were both explained to me by a CGS grader so they do know the difference.

I think because the variety is so minuscule i would have to give them the benefit of the doubt and a couple i have had i have only been sure by looking under a glass.

Either way the coin pictured is ......Not for sale on ebay ☺️

I notice the seller has now added a picture of his own overdate that is not the same coin. 

He should of used his own pictures in the first place and due to Hibernian has perhaps realised he has been rumbled.

Dave groom has got it right............STEER WELL CLEAR 🙂

Edited by PWA 1967

9 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I notice the seller has now added a picture of his own overdate that is not the same coin. 

He should of used his own pictures in the first place and due to Hibernian has perhaps realised he has been rumbled.

He never responded to my PM but judging by what has been said here, I wasn't expecting one!

Frank

Yes, the third picture he has added is clearly a different coin, yet he's kept the other two LCA pictures.

This guy is something else!

Frank

Actually, on this additional picture now showing 'his coin', I'm finding difficulty in seeing a similar protrusion to the one illustrated for this variety as shown here: 

https://headsntails14.wordpress.com/victoria-bronze-reverses/

There is certainly a mark there - in-fact quite distinct - more so than the LCA example, but is it a protrusion?

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Blatantly a different coin. Is he taking the piss or what? 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

The following Edit has appeared

On 29-Sep-18 at 15:45:16 BST, seller added the following information:

I am sorry but the photo of the close up on the date was of I of my other coins so  please ignore it. Also ebay will not cancel the wrong photo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Constantly. Wrong images, wrong coins (in the bad way), shill bidding.......... He has a CV going back many years that any member of the underworld would be proud of.

• Like 1

Definitely a seller to be avoided at all costs.  

Bleedin Lanc (ies)