British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

Is something funny going on?

Just looking through finished coin prices I noted on seller Lucido-8 sell a near fine copper farthing for £102 and yet a EF coin with lustre ( A really nice coin ) never got a bid at £100 starting price (Another seller) , totally weird.

I also noted this seller seems to get consistantly good prices for really rarther poor coins .

Is he shilling or  does anyone suspect a rat ?

Edited by copper123

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Just looking through finished coin prices I noted on seller Lucido-8 sell a near fine copper farthing for £102 and yet a EF coin with lustre ( A really nice coin ) never got a bid at £100 starting price (Another seller) , totally weird.

I also noted this seller seems to get consistantly good prices for really rarther poor coins .

Is he shilling or  does anyone suspect a rat ?

I've only ever bought one coin from Lucido-8 ("a Lucido coin"), which in common with nearly all his offerings was just not quite EF - as you indicate above. He's been selling on e bay for as long as I can remember, and he's presumably built up a bit of a reputation and fan base in that time. So I'm not sure about him shilling. To be fair I'd say it was more probable than not, that he isn't.

One observation I would make is that coins which go on at a high starting price, often attract no interest whatsoever - even when they're worth quite a bit more. I've got several like that, including an a/UNC 1895 2mm penny for just over £200. Waited till the last second to make my bid, but in the event, needn't have bothered.     

9 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I've only ever bought one coin from Lucido-8 ("a Lucido coin"), which in common with nearly all his offerings was just not quite EF - as you indicate above. He's been selling on e bay for as long as I can remember, and he's presumably built up a bit of a reputation and fan base in that time. So I'm not sure about him shilling. To be fair I'd say it was more probable than not, that he isn't.

One observation I would make is that coins which go on at a high starting price, often attract no interest whatsoever - even when they're worth quite a bit more. I've got several like that, including an a/UNC 1895 2mm penny for just over £200. Waited till the last second to make my bid, but in the event, needn't have bothered.     

If you read what I said carefully lucido 8 's coin was in worse than fine  (but described as good fine ) and fetched £102.

The other seller had an EF coin and it never got a bid at only £100.

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

If you read what I said carefully lucido 8 's coin was in worse than fine  (but described as good fine ) and fetched £102.

The other seller had an EF coin and it never got a bid at only £100.

Yes, I read what you said. Just making my own separate observations.

He sells many coins each day, and the others he sold around and about that farthing, all went for what look like realistic prices. So I'm not sure why he would decide to shill bid one poor farthing. I agree it's odd and was bid up to massively more than what it's worth, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's shill bidding.

link to his completed listings including the Farthing in question.     

Edited by 1949threepence

1859 farthings are rather rare and are popular you could sell them till the cows come home same with 1851 and 1852 , but there is no way that coin should have gone to much more than £25 esp as the other coin was listed at around the same time

There again ebay does produce freak results for sellers every so often

that 1856 farthing discribed as A/Unc looks like it's been covered in gilt as well