British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coin#addict

1825 George IV halfcrown

Interesting. It looks like an 1824 pattern shilling, but dated 1825. Not an R6 price, so you are probably right.

• Thanks 1

Design is for the Half Crown, but with no weight or dimensions, one cannot be certain if it is an incorrect listing. As to whether it is a fake - the reverse appears very deeply struck, but whether this is natural, the result of fakery, or just excessive photoshopping is difficult to tell.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Paddy that the reverse looks too deeply engraved. The bead count is the same as on an 1824, 1825 and 1829 I have images for here, so that appears to be constant from pattern through to currency. There are minor detail differences in the hair between this one and my 1825, but the hair is in better agreement with the 1824. Conversely, the profile of the earhole is a better match with my 1825 than the 1824. It's probably reasonable to assume that there were several bust punches made, all nominally the same, but needs someone to do the spadework to confirm. 

An 1825 here which differs slightly in the three hair strands pointing to GR.

00009489 - Copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

And the 1824 which shows much deeper cuts to the hair, but the 3 strands pointing to GR are in better agreement with the ebay piece.

If it wasn't for the reverse, I don't think many questions would be asked.

c1699-1824 Halfcrown obv. Barton's Metal - Copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

The foot serifs on obverse lettering seem wrong. Flatter on the genuine article.

• Thanks 1