British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
SRSNUM

TWO MYSTERY COINS

i  HAVE TWO FOREIGN COINS IN MY COLLECTION THAT HAVE RESISTED MY ATTEMPTS AT ATTRIBUTION.  ANY INFORMATION OR COMMENTS ABOUT THEM APPRECIATED.

SILVER COIN-DIAMETER 14 mm, WEIGHT 0.35 GRAMS.  APPEARS EMBOSSED-RELIEF ON ONE SIDE, INCUSED ON THE BACK.

COPPER COIN-DIAMETER 22 mm, WEIGHT 16.32 GRAMS, THICKNESS ~5.0 mm.  APPEARS TO HAVE A HORSE WITH BIRD ON IT'S BACK ON ONE SIDE AND ARABIC WRITING ON THE BACK. 

PLEASE SEE DIGITAL IMAGES BELOW.

SRSNUM

ISLAMICCOINHORSEANDBIRDOBV.jpg

ISLAMICCOINHORSEANDBIRDREV.jpg

medievalbracteateobv2.jpg

medievalbracteateREv.jpg

On 4/14/2019 at 4:46 PM, SRSNUM said:

medievalbracteateobv2.jpg

medievalbracteateREv.jpg

This coin is an Engelspfennig of the Bishopric of Strasbourg, circa 1300. It's listed in "German Coins" by Bonhoff as number 1750. 

Many thanks JLS for responding and finally attributing this silver coin in my collection.  It has dodged my best efforts at identifying it.  My weakness in identifying medieval coinage is on display as is my weakness in the area of Arabic related coinage.

Your supplying a reference work is most helpful too.  Thanks again. 

I still have hope that the copper coin may also be attributed.  Perhaps another expert in this forum may have the knowledge. 

Kindest regards,

SRSNUM