British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
OldCurrencyExchange

British penny sells for $179,000 in California

Last Friday, a British 1933 penny was sold at auction, by Heritage Auctions, in Anaheim, California at the ANA World’s Fair of Money for US$ 179,000

This equates to €174,411.06 or GB£151,920.22

I cannot help wondering if this coin might have sold for more money if offered for sale in a British auction.

What was the logic behind selling it via an American auction house in California?

Did the post-Brexit dip in the value of Sterling adversely affect the bids from the UK?

For more info on this extremely rare coin, see https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2014/08/20/rare-coins-the-1933-british-penny/

1933 British Penny (rare).jpg

All the serious UK based penny collectors will have been aware of this sale, the $ vs £ rate may have affected the UK bidding slightly. I thought it would go for far more.

Me too, I thought it would at least reach £200k..

Most penny collectors won't have that type of money to buy such a rarity, it virtually equates in price to a Una and the Lion, it was only ever going to sell to someone with very deep pockets either a collector or investor, it may have still ended up in British hands but I wouldn't like to be paying the import duty on it

Yes it's definitely more of an investment item than a collection item, would be nice to have it back in UK though. Stop stealing all our good coins @RLC35 :D 

• Like 1

Good job Pete, now please stop buying all the pennies or I'll have to switch to farthings :ph34r:

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

The coin is in the UK were it belongs :)

And previous owner was American

• Like 1

I would think someone like Ira and Larry Goldberg would be potential buyers as they are often buyers of very rare British coinage. I seem to remember they had and Edward VIII proof set once upon a time

• Like 1

Bit out of my league, that one. I also thought it would go 200+.  When will another come along?