British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
hazelman

Coin Pics

Hi Team,

As some of you might know ive struggled getting decent pics of my coins. I believe I have now cracked it with my new set-up.

Would value your guys input on whether this is now a decent picd1de371b-9c59-4feb-b876-2584f911a8ab_zps

Nice shilling:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I thought it was a sovereign. :P

Looks good but hard to tell without something to compare it to - do you have pics from earlier attempts, and does the colour in the pic accurately represent how it looks in hand (in the same lighting)?

Looking good Hazelman. Show us the reverse!

Will take a few other pics. This was done with a lightbox my nephew made.The only editing I did was increase the sharpness. Yes it does look similar in the hand. Looks best on this colour background.Used my iPhone.

2 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Looking good Hazelman. Show us the reverse!

Will do so this evening must rush now - thanks Nordie

Nice coin and a good buy.

Picture a bit blurred though Eric IMO :)

• Like 1

Thanks I agree need to steady my hand

Another lovely coin .

Easy to find faults but again a bit blurred :)

The first picture of the obverse is definitely better focused, but once in focus I think they look good!

My cushion was beige :ph34r: 

1.jpg

:D 

• Like 1

This is a photo of a coin I took recently.

I use a Nikon D5100 with the kit lens (18mm - 55mm) and use the built in flash for the photo. Settings are f/14, focal length is 55mm and exposure time is 1/60 sec. I always use a tripod with the shutter set to automatic 10 second release so that there is no 'wobble' from me pressing the button. I always position the coin on a black background. The photo then goes into Photoshop Elements where I crop it to size and 'clean up' the lighting and the contrast.

I could probably get a better shot if I invested in a 105mm macro lens and better lighting. But I think this works quite well for my purposes.

CEgz1W.jpg

@Paulus has a nice post elsewhere on these forums with some advice.  I have offered my advice in that thread, so I will let you give it a look there.

Handheld images are often / usually blurry, so supporting your iPhone on a stable and level surface is imperative.

Best, Brandon