British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

Richard II Halfpenny ID?

I've just bought this 191682428067 tonight to flip, does anyone have the Withers book and a couple of minutes spare to properly ID it for me? Only until I get my own copy, of course, which is imminent! :)

Nice one Stu, even I can see that it says 'Richard' on it! But I don't collect these and don't have a copy of Withers, I'm sure it will be ID'd in no time though! :)

link

Edited by Paulus

1b(iii)

Many thanks, Rob! How does that work with Spink, as now I'm TOTALLY confused? I've got it down as a North 1331b Type II on account of the ANGL legend and lomardic N with '(rarely) Roman Ns on the reverse,' which for me makes it S1699 BUT with a Roman N reverse?

Sorry to take up your time, but what do you think?

According to Withers, that is S1699 and N1331b. However, with Spink dividing R2 halfpennies into 4 references and Withers only using 2 of these (1698 & 1699) in the edition I have, it is necessary to do a bit of interpretation. Withers types 2, 3 4 & 5 aren't given a Spink ref. but do note that many have fishtail serifs which would imply S1700. The fishtails are also noted with type 1, but not 1B, 1C, 1D or 4(late). Types 2 onwards are noted as having a number of lettering styles which presumably equates to S1700A's short, stubby letters. There is no sub-division in Withers to take account of letter styles.

Spink list 4 types and Withers 9, so it isn't surprising that there are conflicts.

Very strange! I was looking over the 'completed items' section on eBay, to see if there were any 'identified' reverse Roman N halfpennies of Richard sold, just to give me a starting place for pricing on the 'bay, and guess what I found? The exact halfpenny I bought 191668757635 sold by the same seller, correctly identified as a R2 halfpenny. How odd that he should be selling it a little while later with an Ed2 farthing, describing it as 'Edward halfpenny and farthing I think'? Very odd! Perhaps a little reverse psychology experiment? Who knows?

Anyway, it's been nicely recycled to a prominent halfpenny collector now. Think I undercut myself a little bit, as this was also a reversed Roman N reverse! Good thing is I reckon everyone's happy, and I enjoyed the process! Great coining, love it! :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention...flipping this halfpenny bought me the book! WHAT a hobby! :)