British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Dutchgreener

Penny Model 1 error (extra E)

What I find strange is the comment "if they find the variety in Krause" Krause is An American book which don't list a lot of British varieties, shouldn't they be using major British catalogues as well, or is it the case if it's not listed in an American book it simply doesn't exist in their eyes?

Some of the UK patterns and models are listed in the Krause Unusual world coins, which is a separate volume to the other catalogues

produced by them

What I find strange is the comment "if they find the variety in Krause" Krause is An American book which don't list a lot of British varieties, shouldn't they be using major British catalogues as well, or is it the case if it's not listed in an American book it simply doesn't exist in their eyes?

Even when it is listed in American books, they still don't get it right, because they don't know what one looks like. I sent a 1922/27 in to be slabbed, with explanation, etc. It came back a regular 1922. Grrrrrrrr!

I rest my case

I rest my case

Even when it is listed in American books, they still don't get it right, because they don't know what one looks like. I sent a 1922/27 in to be slabbed, with explanation, etc. It came back a regular 1922. Grrrrrrrr!

Yes, IF I was getting that slabbed it would have to be by CGS

I rest my case

I agree with you Paulus, if I was just getting one valuable Great Britain coin slabbed, it would be with CGS. I was getting 190 coins slabbed for sale with Heritage, and Heritage won't sell CGS slabbed coins! Because of that, a small Company like CGS has limited their audience to mostly Great Britain, and European sales. CGS should have used the same grading system as the other major grading companies. It would have enhanced their business model. IMHO. :)

I rest my case

I agree with you Paulus, if I was just getting one valuable Great Britain coin slabbed, it would be with CGS. I was getting 190 coins slabbed for sale with Heritage, and Heritage won't sell CGS slabbed coins! Because of that, a small Company like CGS has limited their audience to mostly Great Britain, and European sales. CGS should have used the same grading system as the other major grading companies. It would have enhanced their business model. IMHO. :)

Yes Bob, they should. They don't use the extra 30 grade points anyway! Guess the problem was they wanted to be stricter than Sheldon (which I agree with! AU50, for example, is a silly grade to say the least)

Edited by Paulus

Is the problem not a little more subtle than the different ranges? I get the impression that the larger auction houses (and to a greater extent US slab devotees) will only consider NGC or PCGS. i.e. anyone else is ignored. What scale CGS use is for the most part irrelevant if the coin has to be accredited by one of only two TPGs.

Personally I have never had a problem with ANACS, who in my view more accurately than NGC.

I think with Heritage/NGC/PCGS it is more a case of a closed shop, with the auction house absolving themselves of any problems re-description or legitimacy by requiring their lots to be slabbed by one or the other. This would make things very difficult to return as they have already been cleared as genuine, and the grade is taken as a given. Effectively all Heritage do is make a list and auction it off on a regular basis. I think it is an unholy alliance, because there is no means to regulate the minutiae over and above the lotting that we take for granted with a conventional auctioneer. Any disputes also have to be made without extracting the coin from the slab, which also makes the task more difficult.

Update:

According the company who sends them to PCGS the coin is MS63 and with some luck MS64.

I will be happy if it grade MS62.

2 november the coin will be back in the Netherlands.

CGS is a grader we don't use here or on the forums I'm at.

Thats the reason I chose PCGS.

Update:

According the company who sends them to PCGS the coin is MS63 and with some luck MS64.

I will be happy if it grade MS62.

2 november the coin will be back in the Netherlands.

CGS is a grader we don't use here or on the forums I'm at.

Thats the reason I chose PCGS.

I just hope PGS pick up the variety.

Love your site name a good name for an Amsterdam coffee bar. :rolleyes:

PGS well some of their attributions on UK coins are appalling.

Steve (Accumulator) on this site has one as his Avatar.

Keep us informed and keep posting.

No mention of the spelling error then

Yeah what the hell? The extra e makes it extremely more valuable than the regular ones..

This is the problem Dutchgreener,when i put the UIN in the PCGS site it brings up the details of your coin.

The picture though is not the same one and X#10 is described as the standard 1844 model penny.

Maybe its me as have had similar problems when i have been on the site previously and you could have a check yourself.

Nice coin anyway and was a good buy especially at the price you got it for.

Pete.

The other Point being is that British buyers wouldn't normally use Krause, they'd be checking British coin references such As Spink. This is Exactly what i thought would happen

Edited by azda

Told you i was daft the picture just does not show the error that isnt pictured or described :)

Pete.

Grade is brilliant but now is the time to send to CGS.

Keep the attribution of PCGS but the description is crap.

Send a PM to Accumulator (Steve) it could get junked in a Heritage Auction.

But as I wrote above, British buyers will look at British reference books plus there's no mention of the error in the label

Yes what i meant is the description they give it and the fact they grade the inner part and leave the rest.

I understand now why ,never having bought one or even looked at them before i was aware of the error one you have.

Will people look at Krause or just see it as a normal one i dont have a clue how many people know what X10 is.

I assume your reliant on the auction company doing a full picture and putting it in the description.

Good luck selling it and hope you get what you want .

Dutchgreen

Do not consider selling it anywhere apart from London Coin Auctions.

These boys are associated with CGS and will give you the correct description.

Have you contacted Acumulator?

He will cream his M&S 63 thong. :rolleyes:

Edited by Peter

Dutchgreen

Do not consider selling it anywhere apart from London Coin Auctions.

These boys are associated with CGS and will give you the correct description.

Have you contacted Acumulator?

He will cream his M&S 63 thong. :rolleyes:

Best advice for sure, they'll attribute and market this correctly.

Dutchgreener, Accumulator is another penny collector on here and he has an example as well, he is also the best person to talk to regarding these. Here's a link to his profile, send him a PM!

Accumulator