British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Andriulis

Halfcrown 1920: where is the difference between Spink 4021 and 4021A

Hello,

I need your help again. Could someone shown in pictures where is the difference? Is it only in portrait or in other details too?

Thanks

Hi Andriulis,

The best way to tell the difference is a very slight difference in the pointing of the A in GRA

Spink 4021 covers Obv 1 and Obv 2

Spink 4021A is Obv 3

Obv 1: A at a bead

Obv 2: A between beads

Obv 3: A is just to the right of a bead

There's also two reverses for the 1920 halfcrown:

Rev A: Raised edge to garter above F, no pocket above C

Rev B: Plain edge to garter above F, pocket above C

The possible combinations, by Davies number, are:

1+A, D.1672 (commonest)

1+B, D.1673 (scarce)

2+A, D.1674 (scarcest)

3+A, D.1675 (common)

3+B, D.1676 (scarce)

In addition, Peter Davies has added a D.1675B, which is a modified Obv 3, characterised by a thicker rim, with tiny beads rather than small teeth. It's probably scarcer than any of the previously documented coins.

Sorry it's not photos, but hope that helps
Declan : )
  • Like 1

In addition, Peter Davies has added a D.1675B, which is a modified Obv 3, characterised by a thicker rim, with tiny beads rather than small teeth. It's probably scarcer than any of the previously documented coins.

Is it mentioned in any literature?

Is it mentioned in any literature?

All I know about 1675B, Mr T, is that Mr Davies was selling a GF example a couple of years ago. I don't suppose he still has it!

All I know about 1675B, Mr T, is that Mr Davies was selling a GF example a couple of years ago. I don't suppose he still has it!

No I suppose not. Does he have a website?

Try Micheal Coins site where different reverses of 1920 halfcrowns are presented in his lists of UK coins.

I thought I had a reverse B and sent a picture to Micheal who confirmed it was. It was a narrow relief on the reverse which was different from the example that Micheal had. I brought it from NGS in Florida as a MS 62 which was a rare case where the grading was correct as I don't think NGS understood the poor strikes of that period.

With reference to my earlier post should read shallow relief not narrow relief. Sorry if there is any confusion.

Hello again,

thats my new purchase. Am I right, that it's high relief obverse (Spink 4021)? And what grade could it be? I think it's VF, maybe slightly better, but weakly struck reverse.

Any comments are welcome, be harsh.

Thanks

post-4285-0-91772900-1443203396_thumb.jp

I'm only trying to work with "Grading British coins". It's still very possible, that I understood it's information not very correctly.

Thanks PWA 1967. Could you explain a little bit more?

Technically I try to look at the edge of the shield and moto in reverse. For me it corresponds to VF picture in "Grading British coins". Same in obverse - end of mustache, top of ear and hairlines are flattened, but still corresponds to VF picture. Where are my main mistakes?

Thanks

I've tried to contrast picture more. Maybe that will show my views better.

Lot of people on here with much more knowledge than me.

Hopefully someone else will give you an opinion.

The last few pictures make it appear better.

Pete.

The pictures really don't help. It looks as if the I in HONI is virtually flat, in which case it would be difficult to assign a grade higher than fine, but then the rest looks better. Assuming the I is a red herring, then VF or so is probably right.

I learned that some pictures worth looking at again your later ones better.

Sure you can find a better one though does not seem something rare/unusual.

Can i ask what you paid for it ?.

Thats the important bit ,so if you want to buy a better one you can get your money back.