British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
John Samuel

Claudius, AD43

My father gave this coin to my son a few years ago. According to my father (who was born in 1930) it sat in a sideboard drawer in his childhood home for as long as he could remember. He says that, in about 1941, he took it to our local (Plymouth) Museum, "where it was instantly identified as 'mint of Rome', AD43, Claudius on the obverse and the Goddess Minerva on the tail."

So, there's no mystery about this coin, and I don't suppose it's worth a great deal, but it is a striking coin and I post it in the hope it is of interest.

post-8861-0-24873900-1441039180_thumb.jp

post-8861-0-30722400-1441039191_thumb.jp

Welcome JS. No, not the most valuable coin, but a great history! Thanks for posting.

Are you a collector yourself?

Welcome JS. No, not the most valuable coin, but a great history! Thanks for posting.

Are you a collector yourself?

Thank you for the welcome. No, I can't claim to be a collector, but am the recipient of a few family items, which interest me a great deal. I have posted on this site about my (damaged) 1847 Gothic Crown, and intend posting about a groat which came to me a few years ago.

What kind of groat, John?

And welcome, by the way! :)

Thanks so much for your warm welcome. My wife has put the groat "somewhere safe", and consequently it will take a while to track down! I'll post details soon and would be delighted to hear any comments.