British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

VickySilver

The Enigmatic Andy Scott, Or, Who Is This Masked Penny Collector?

I noted in the 'throwaway" Spink Insider Magazine that a preview was given of this upcoming sale in conjunction with Coinex. Does anybody (Bernie?) know who this mysterious collector is/was - seems to defy attempts at Google search! A pseudonym???

After the Harold Jackson New York Sale, I am wondering Spink's methodology in presenting and selling pennies.....Although, I appreciated the one penny I got there....

PS There is the citation of the 43 yo English footballer, now retired - is this the same person???

Edited by VickySilver

You won't have long to wait - the catalogue should be out next week..............................

You won't have long to wait - the catalogue should be out next week..............................

If your name is R Andrew Scott and you live in Henley, then presumably we already have the answer.

Linkedin also has an M Andrew Scott, educated at Henley Management College, graduated in 2010, so unlikely.

I had just been wondering as Gerald (not Harold) was a quiet engineering type evidently squirreled away in far-off Georgia USA that had really good taste in pennies and was evidently well-connected at Spink in the near Grande ole Days - is this fellow another such individual?

Andy Scott is the collectors real name. Why would you think that it isn't ?

Bernie -- VS was referring to Gerald instead of Harold as being the correct first name of the fellow whose collection Spink USA sold at auction just over a year ago.

Yes, true. I also think it interesting that many collectors are so shy and retiring that their very existence may not be known by many & that they amass truly wonderful collections that even fewer might be aware of until sadly they (such collectors) meet their demise. Other times the "players" are known and can be seen at auction and are known from other venues.

The mystery is, of course, what it is they have managed to get hold of and the reveal at auction. Mr. Jackson had, at least in my opinion amassed a tremendous group of pennies with some being as fine as I have seen.

Finally, the auction houses do frequently use pseudonyms so not at all out of line to at least suspect this as a possibility in this case quite frankly. I have been around a few years and was not aware of this collector.

According to the Spink "Insider", only a selection of the Andy Cross collection will be offered in their September sale.