British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mark

Requesting advice on potential first hammered purchase. James I 1s, an

Hello all. On my quest to acquire type pieces for each monarch, I came across these 2 pieces of interest; namely, a James I shilling (6th Bust, trefoil mintmark, listed as S-2668), and an Edward III groat (London Mint, S-1568).

Being inexperienced in this particular area, I have little to no idea what a fair price range on these might be, as online sales records vary wildly. They appear to be rather nice examples, with even wear and little to no clipping. Just need to get an idea for price range before putting in an offer. Opinions much appreciated.

0RKdu5U.png

69Tfmyw.png

Surprised not to see any replies from the hammered guys on the forum; from my limited knowledge I would say that the James shilling is exceptionally nice, good flan and nice even strike, at least VF for me.

The groat is more 'run of the mill' I would say, a nice coin but a little short of flan , and these can be found better; still a good example, and again a good VF.

But I would then have to be guided by Spink as regards price; any idea of what is being asked?

C'mon, lets have some proper experts!

Jerry

Prices in Spink are a reasonable guide for these. Forget things like Coin Yearbook and similar as it gives two prices for a James I shilling - one for Fine and one for VF, that despite there being 6 issues and nearly 20 marks used, not to mention overmarks.

Both look to be decent examples. The James 6th bust tends to look quite good in any grade if fully struck up and not flat in parts.

I would say the James I shilling is full of eye appeal based on the pics you posted, and worthy of a punt at the full Spink VF price. I would be interested myself if you decide not to go for it, please PM me if so :)

If It's anything to go on, I acquired this one privately very recently, albeit with the plume (S2669), for just under Spink VF price, one of my favourite coins :)

ji_sh_pl_06.png

Edited by Paulus

I would say the James I shilling is full of eye appeal based on the pics you posted, and worthy of a punt at the full Spink VF price. I would be interested myself if you decide not to go for it, please PM me if so :)

If It's anything to go on, I acquired this one privately very recently, albeit with the plume (S2669), for just under Spink VF price, one of my favourite coins :)

ji_sh_pl_06.png

That's a spanker of a coin, Paulus! Great eye appeal :)

ji_sh_pl_06.png

The coin was graded by someone at Baldwins as GF/NVF, you paid for it's Rarity and eye appeal., but i still think it was a good purchase from me, I still think the guy at baldwins was selling it short, but you can't argue with years of experience i suppose, although i've seen some of the coins they've graded and sold at their major auctions