British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi.

I found this William halfpenny among a lot at a car boot last week. Struggling a bit to ID it. Spinks is a tad confusing. Their appear to be no stops on reverse.

Many Thanks R.R.

Quite possible. I have one from a different reverse die with no perceptible stop

I love the high dot after GULIELMUS

Dr Nicholson had 1 as well, No 128 on part 2 of the collection.

That's mine

Here's mine.

Possibly something going on underneath the T too?

post-8388-0-88800000-1440516240_thumb.jp

Dr Nicholson had 1 as well, No 128 on part 2 of the collection.

That's mine

With the green spots of death :)

Does provenance trump verdigris or is it a case of rarity?

Didn't have one, nor had I seen one before Nicholson.

I actually bought it out of London Coins sale 122 in 2008, lot 2237 part

Edited by Rob

English Bulk Lots : Auction 122 : Lot 2237
Date Sold Category Lot Description Sale Price 06/09/2008

Auction 122 English Bulk Lots Lot

2237 Halfpennies (7) 1699 No stop Reverse Ex-Nicholson VG, 1733 NF, 1841 GEF, 1853 A/UNC, 1860 Freeman 260A No tie-knot F/GF, 1861 Freeman 276 Ex-Nicholson A/UNC, 1887 UNC

Now I understand what the VG was for - Verdigris :)

I dont appear to have one of these... got almost every other kind of 1699 :(

Seriously Rob if I saw it tomorrow for sale I would buy it green spots or not as I do not have one either.

Seriously Rob if I saw it tomorrow for sale I would buy it green spots or not as I do not have one either.

Er. are we still discussing my coin? I,am getting a bit lost, cannot see much in the way of verdigris on my coin just a bit of gunge.

Er. are we still discussing my coin? I,am getting a bit lost, cannot see much in the way of verdigris on my coin just a bit of gunge.

No. It looks like things have drifted a little, as is often the case. Yours looks like one of 3 to date. :)

No. It looks like things have drifted a little, as is often the case. Yours looks like one of 3 to date. :)

Sorry Rob. I am obviously having an extreme senior moment, what do you mean by one of three to date?

Sorry Rob. I am obviously having an extreme senior moment, what do you mean by one of three to date?

Yours, mine and Michael-Roo's (see image higher up this thread)

Edited by Rob

Thank you all.

So as I don't have a great interest in early milled copper I thought I might pop it on E. bay, without sounding too vulgar any ideas as to the value?, I did sell a GVLIEMVS error 1694 William and Mary halfpenny some time back and that went for silly money and, not as nice as this one.

Thank you all.

So as I don't have a great interest in early milled copper I thought I might pop it on E. bay, without sounding too vulgar any ideas as to the value?, I did sell a GVLIEMVS error 1694 William and Mary halfpenny some time back and that went for silly money and, not as nice as this one.

Stick it on for £1 start and it will find its level, that's the answer I have seen numerous times before for that question.

I'm not convinced there isn't a trace of a stop below the final A at a distance the width of the final A viewed as a crossbar, half way along the A horizontally. It looks like a circular mark there rather than a ragged flaw/corrosion spot.

I think that on ebay you should get at least £30 for that coin even if it's not a reverse no stop (and it could well have a stop there ) it should get £20 as it's basicly nice grade for that issue.

So if you want a reserve start it at £30