British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

Interest in ancient coins

:huh: Why does there seem to be little interest in Hammered coins on the forum? I've thrown a couple of pebbles into the pond with little result. Everyone semms hooked on the "pretty" milled stuff. The field of Numismatics is so vast, you'ld think there would be a wider spread of discussion!?!

Here's another coin I'm trying to ascribe. I've seen a number of these appear on e-bay and no-one has tried to identify them. Any thoughts?

post-3-1099904349_thumb.jpg

Why does there seem to be little interest in Hammered coins on the forum?

Mostly due to the fact that nearly all of the regular members do not collect hammerd coinage...Sylvester collects some hammered, but he also collects a wide range of milled...

Mostly due to the fact that nearly all of the regular members do not collect hammerd coinage...Sylvester collects some hammered, but he also collects a wide range of milled...

I collect a wide range of hammered but not in a great deal of depth, and yet very very little milled in a extremely narrow field, sixpences 1674-1787.

Not sure what that coin is though, a stab in the dark Henry I? :huh:

Not sure what that coin is though, a stab in the dark Henry I? :huh:

:lol: Not English!! The closest I've come to the emblem of a shieve of arrows is on Spanish 25 centimos coins of the 1930's. But they are milled and I think this is hammered.

:lol: Not English!! The closest I've come to the emblem of a shieve of arrows is on Spanish 25 centimos coins of the 1930's. But they are milled and I think this is hammered.

I have enough on with British without looking too far else...

Although pre-19th century French coins have their appeal for me.

I never really like Spanish coins.

I never really like Spanish coins.

We have rasist in this forum!!!! :P:D

You said that last time. :lol:

:unsure: You've made me think!! With the government hell bent on legislating for everything, will it be long bfore saving "English" coins will become a crime and we must include all nationalities or be thrown in gaol. -(note the "English" spelling of incarceration!) :ph34r:

Now a days everything is possible... they even want to change to name of a school that had that name for centuries, in case it offends anyone... what next?

Hi Geordie,

Is it a Detecting find ?

Have you tried the FLO for your area....The one in my area is very helpful in getting coins identified.

Looks continetal to me.

I like hammered coins, got several, some in excellent condition.

Done a few searches on Google (Had a bit of time on my hands)

Could be a Spanish 'Half Real' c1490 Ferdinand and Isabella....on the other hand

it could be something completly different...

Guest Guest

Geordie

I found one of these last year in about the same condition. It is definitely a hammered coin. I also found a hammered Venetian coin in the same field, along with several coins and artifacts from the Tudor period. This might narrow down the era to look at.

ps. Just got in from a few hours detecting. Found a nice Edward 1 penny. Cant identify the class. The crown and script dont seem to match any class in coincraft. Unrecorded type?? Probably not, I will keep looking.

Guest Guest

Thanks all! You've given me food for thought. If I definitly identify it - mI'll be back!

Welshguy, No, I'm afraid I look for the bottom end of the coin market on e-bay and try to identify them! I've had some ggod ones too ( and some rubbish!)

I'm pretty certain the coin shown is, as shown on the Colchester web site, belonging to Ferdinand possible a half real as you said, and c.1455

Guest, can you post a picture? As a guest I couldn't manage it!! Wonder why? :ph34r:

I can't have every Tom, Dick and Guest posting pictures and using bandwith all over the place!

:rolleyes: Just kidding!

I can't have every Tom, Dick and Guest posting pictures and using bandwith all over the place!

Isnt that unfair to Tom and Dick?...Guests cannot post pics, but wouldn't it be unfair on both Tom and Dick? :P

Isnt that unfair to Tom and Dick?...Guests cannot post pics, but wouldn't it be unfair on both Tom and Dick? :P

---Pee

---Eee

---Dee

---Ayy

eeN

---Tee

---Iy

---Cee

---!---

:D