British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Theodosius II Miliarense

here is another one.

weight 4.11g and Dia. 22-23mm

a nice looking coin but is it a fake?

How do I find out?

post-439-0-35957700-1440332648_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input and the link Tom.

I agree it looks too perfect but apparently its from a good source.

I think I'll have it looked at by someone with knowledge of ancient coins.

I have a fake by possibly the slavei (??) but can't seem to find it that looks between these. The reverse figure a bit suspect but a very nice looking coin. These types of fakes - if this is one, and I'm not saying it is - are very, very deceptive and can imagine them possibly fooling an expert every now and then....

If it IS a fake, then someone is certainly knocking out some awesome dies, as this coin is clearly hammered.

Is it a rare and valuable type? If not I just can't imagine anyone making that kind of effort, especially when they could instead be faking the comparatively simple Anglo-Saxon coins?

The quality of fakes coming out of ?Bulgaria can be truly outstanding as they use "original" methods to strike their coins. I have heard that occasionally original poor quality or worn silver is melted down and used for blanks - these coins then would pass metallurgy tests for metal content...