British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Coin of Nero

Here is a Denari of the Nero.

I am having difficulty identifying it and would like your opinions.

The bust is wrong and I can find no corresponding coin on the net!

Is this a fake?

It is 3.32g in weight and has a Dia. of 17mm seems to be silver.

post-439-0-90987100-1440331917_thumb.jpg

I think Peckris would be your man for the Id

Also the straw/plant thing he's holding on the rev. is angled completely differently, although I have 0 experience in these types of coins!

Does have a slightly 'unofficial' look to it, but doesn't look like a modern fake to me. I presume it's a detecting find?

Jerry

Thanks for the input folks.

Its not a detecting find. It comes from an old collection which was inherited by a friend of mine. He has nil interest in coins and asked me to check it out unfortunately I have nil experience in Ancient coins so am relying on the net :)

I just cannot find a coin on the net where the bust corresponds! The reverse is almost right IVPPITER CVSTOS with the word CVSTOS extremely weak on the right of the figure.

I feel a trip to a reputable Dealer coming on..... :wacko:

there were fakes of roman coins made through the ages, even during the period.

i got this Otho in a bulk buy, which contained late 18th century coins for example

1031704.jpg

On 24/08/2015 at 7:26 PM, Gary said:

Thanks for the input folks.

Its not a detecting find. It comes from an old collection which was inherited by a friend of mine. He has nil interest in coins and asked me to check it out unfortunately I have nil experience in Ancient coins so am relying on the net :)

I just cannot find a coin on the net where the bust corresponds! The reverse is almost right IVPPITER CVSTOS with the word CVSTOS extremely weak on the right of the figure.

I feel a trip to a reputable Dealer coming on..... :wacko:

A very interesting R over B on your profile picture Gary. Could you share the details regarding this error please?

Considering Gary hasn’t been on the forum lately does anyone from here recognise this error?

1 minute ago, jacinbox said:

A very interesting R over B on your profile picture Gary. Could you share the details regarding this error please?

Considering Gary hasn’t been on the forum lately does anyone from here recognise this error?

I believe it was on an 1861 halfpenny Jac, here's a picture of the obv. Look to this thread, he mentions the find and extra info, but further down mentions that he has found another one.

1.png

Thank you.