British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coinmerchant

1845 Crown (Problem Coin)

Acquired this coin in a auction lot I won recently. Looks to be in nice condition, possibly very fine to my untrained eye. Unfortunately I notice there are

two tiny holes in the rim. So question is - how much does this devalued the coin?

Again my thanks to any answers received on this topic.

William

IMG_2687_zpsdy7o1yhl.jpgIMG_2688_zpsbiw8my0y.jpg

Holes are obviously for a swivel mount. This will detract from price. It's a pity, looks like a decent coin otherwise, although your fingerprints won't help it now either :(

Edited by azda

By at least half IMHO! Worse than that, a lot of people wouldn't buy it at all, which also makes it a hard sale to make.

The chances are it's also hairlined, being an ex-mount, though your pictures don't highlight this.

If it was from auction as a single lot, they should really have described it as a holed ex-mount!

Oops! I did not realise I was doing that. I do normally hold my coins correctly. Regarding the ex-mount, no excuse, I did actually view the lot and to be honest,

I'm sure this was accounted for in the auction price, which in IMHO was quite reasonable.

In Spinks 2013 its priced at £300 VF - Maybe put it on eBay for something between £100 - £150 ex-mount.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

William

A GVF sold for £240 at Londoncoins this year, but the holes are going to really drag it down, I'd say between £75-£100 ballpark, as its eBay it could

Be more or less depending who's bidding

I've struggled to sell the 45 in the past. Your's also has a nasty edge knock too! Sorry for the hard news! :(

Did they mention this was holed in the auction? And if not which auction house was it?

I too think damaged Vick crowns a problem at sale, sad to say I'm in the 50 quid camp...

£50 - £65 would be a fair price , possably it might get to £75

I'm definitely in the Vicky/Copper camp on pricing.

Me too, sorry!

Ex-mount + edge knock means that I wouldn't go near it, and that would go for a lot of other collectors I'm sure. If I had come by it as part of a job lot, I would be quite pleased to get £50 for it.

There is that bloke in the states that............

And I think for an EF or better coin, that might be an option....?!....