British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Evening All,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen an example of the 1860 Bronze Halfpenny TB/BB Mule? I have seen many of the pennies and the farthings but I noticed that the Halfpenny was listed in the 2015 Spink whereas it has not been included in previous years. I would love to see a photo of one if anybody has one?

I believe that there has only been one that has been found so far. Attached is a picture of that coin.

post-5652-0-65078000-1439973012_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I believe that there has only been one that has been found so far. Attached is a picture of that coin.

My friend owns an 1860 Halfpenny mule he has owned it for years, I think possibly since the 1980's, its the only one that I know about and the only one that he knows about too.

He mainly collects Pennies but does have a few other rarities collected.

Great Info Bernie

Has opened the flood gates with the Just Me post.

My friend owns an 1860 Halfpenny mule he has owned it for years, I think possibly since the 1980's, its the only one that I know about and the only one that he knows about too.

Is it a TB/BB as OP says or BB/TB?

Is it a TB/BB as OP says or BB/TB?

It is the toothed obv. beaded rev., it is the same coin as in the picture Bernie posted. Bernie confirmed last night that it is the same coin that we know of.

I have been around for ages and I have never heard of one for sale anywhere

By the way the farthings are not as rare as most people think I would imagine between 250 and 100 exist (I have one as well)

Nice. Didn't realise it was R20 but I guess it still is, even with the passage of a few decades.

By the way the farthings are not as rare as most people think I would imagine between 250 and 100 exist (I have one as well)

I have one too (ex Michael Freeman).

I presume you mean mule farthing Bob, If you have a mule halfpenny, please load a picture if you have one.

Are both your Farthing mules with obverse 2? I believe there are mules with obverse 3? Colin lists it on his site, I've never seen one in hand or pictured. My example is an obverse 2.

My coin is in such poor grade you cannot tell the obverse type - still it really clear as TB/BB and thats what matters

I presume you mean mule farthing Bob, If you have a mule halfpenny, please load a picture if you have one.

You are correct Bernie, it is a farthing. Coppers was talking about a farthing, and that is what I was responding too. I guess I could have been a little clearer on my statement. :):)

few decent reverse die identifiers there too.

post-509-0-52061900-1440100093_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-95640600-1440100133_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-90032400-1440100152_thumb.jpgpost-509-0-94451800-1440100174_thumb.jpg

My coin is in such poor grade you cannot tell the obverse type - still it really clear as TB/BB and thats what matters

Above are pic's of my Farthing Mule. I think my mule is 4 berries, Obverse B (Freeman 2).

post-509-0-26591000-1440100163_thumb.jpg

Edited by RLC35

MMMMMM much nicer than mine - It's the common one but I am sure you knew that .

I would really strugle to grade that at VF by the way NVF is much nearer tha mark , I love the reverse , obverse seems worse grade

Edited by copper123

MMMMMM much nicer than mine - It's the common one but I am sure you knew that .

I would really strugle to grade that at VF by the way NVF is much nearer tha mark , I love the reverse , obverse seems worse grade

It came to me from Michael Freeman graded "cleaned" VF. I kind of agree with you at AVF, but you know how it goes...it's VF if you are selling, and AVF if you are buying...Ha,Ha. I hate grading by the way! :) LOL...

My example is low grade too, a lot of deep scratching, but as you say, a clear example.

post-5660-0-45700400-1440108512_thumb.jp post-5660-0-61275800-1440108524_thumb.jp

Are both your Farthing mules with obverse 2? I believe there are mules with obverse 3? Colin lists it on his site, I've never seen one in hand or pictured. My example is an obverse 2.

Here it is (very bottom of the page): http://www.colincooke.com/coin_pages/vbh2.html

The picture isn't very big but the it does appear to be obverse 3 (the hair is wavier).

The slabbed mule, it looks very much cleaned, but just on the obverse - TBH I am surprised freeman made do with a coin in that grade (did u mean it was from his collection?) - I surpose he had not had the royalties from the book come through - there are quite a few in EF-Unc grade , I have heard of about seven or eight at least over the years.

The second mule , will its low grade but just look at the beaded border on the reverse - its fantastic and the teeth on the obverse are super as well as far as lower grade examples go it's just perfect

Edited by copper123

The slabbed mule, it looks very much cleaned, but just on the obverse - TBH I am surprised freeman made do with a coin in that grade (did u mean it was from his collection?) - I surpose he had not had the royalties from the book come through - there are quite a few in EF-Unc grade , I have heard of about seven or eight at least over the years.

The second mule , will its low grade but just look at the beaded border on the reverse - its fantastic and the teeth on the obverse are super as well as far as lower grade examples go it's just perfect

I don't know if the Mule was from Freeman's Private Collection or not, but he was the previous owner, and the person I bought it from in a private sale.

his private collecton went in the seventies didn't it ?

From memory so could easy be wrong

Main sale was 1984.

I think we forget sometimes most of his collection was from circulation and not bought.

Pete.

The mule wasn't illustrated,so can't say if it was the same piece