British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Nons "What crap has he bought this time?" Thread.....

One or two light marks on the obverse of the florin stop it being Unc - Reverse is SUPERB

• Like 1

Thanks copper, I am resisting the urge to buy anything now to build my pot up and hopefully get something that will be very nice.

Looking closely at the pics I have taken on the Halfcrown against the pics of the coin I thought I was purchasing (the 1st pics above of the halfcrown) I think the seller may have sent me the wrong coin. He had two 1915 crowns available one listed as A/Bu and the other A/unc and I am convinced the one supplied is not the one I requested. I will speak with the dealer and see what the score is.

Your 1900 Viccy Half Crown I would not grade above VF I'm afraid, way too much wear, and not just on the high points.

The later coins are much better, let us know which 1915 you have / bought, and the 1936 Florin is excellent, these are both very plentiful in top grades, and may I say your photography is top notch :)

Edited by Paulus

Thanks Paulus, the 1915 I have is the second lot of pictures. I spoke to the dealer about it and he sent me the better of the two having seen better pictures of both.

I have my heart set on an 1820 Half Crown so I am now saving my pennies to be able to get a high grade one.

Birmingham fair in September might be a good idea

Yeah I will be going to take a look, also may take a stab at a few things at the London coins auction.

I feel like I got this for a decent price. There is an obvious edge knock on the obverse at 3 o'clock and there is a nick on the ear lobe but I feel it is at least a aef if not ef coin based on the rotographic grading guide.

post-8826-0-50896900-1441308598_thumb.jp

Looks around aEF to me, but what is with the copper tone?

Its the lighting. It's 13.99g so there abouts on weight with the wear. Under a flash it's clearly silver.

Latest addition, I think aEF to EF. Certainly by grading book its EF but maybe a bit too much wear on the curls on his forehead.

post-8826-0-70415200-1442156847_thumb.jp

Yup, a decent coin Paul ;)

At least EF IMO

Nice coin. :)

I'll leave discussion of the coin to the experts (although I love it) but I do wish that my pictures would turn out that good.

Thanks for the feedbqck. All I am using is a 6 mega pixel camera on a tripod with macro setting turned on. I light it with a halogen desk lamp shining across the coin from about 2/3 o'clock as well as the main lights in the room.

I really want to get some pictures done in natural day light.

So I have not updated this for a while. I have been mainly focusing on Halfcrowns and have added a few to my collection via people off here (thank you Sound, Paulus) coins fairs and the dreaded ebay. The link is in my signature takes you to my site but his is the link straight to my Halfcrowns as it stands.

I would welcome any feedback, I know not all coins there are EF+ but some have them have been purchased at very good prices in my opinion for the grades that they are.

Looks to me that you are coming on in leaps and bounds for a relative beginner Nons, and I know what you paid for those coins (by the way only one of them was from me) so I would say you have done very well.

Keep posting your newbies!

There doesn't seem to be much going on on here for later milled silver these days!

I'll post a common-as -muck-1887-HC I have just acquired and risk any ridicule!

1887_hc_02_halfcrowns_dot_com.png

Edited by Paulus

:P

Buying quality Nons I see.

Upgrading can be an expensive pastime and buying quality is the way to go.

I have 1 weekend car (MGTF 03 plate in aUNC 24K mileage)

My petrol head daughters boyfriends are joining me this weekend to look at an ALFA GTV .....I so want it but we will give it a good once over.

My garage will be full hopefully (apart from a track bike for next year)

The late Mrs Peter's car (Hyundai S111 coupe) will be swapped for a tax free French diesel every day driver. :o

The Porsche Cayman is also on my list.

A few GEM coins are also on the agenda and will be hunted down.

At the end of the day quality is the key.

It's getting there for sure. I need to upgrade a few already and would like some more 1816 to mid Victoria stuff in there when the budget allows.

I have one of these - an 06-plate Cayman S that I've had from new since March 06. Nearly 90k on the clock now and I still love driving it.

Much like coins - quality is indeed the key. I've never regretted pushing the boat out for the Cayman, even when it's thrown me the odd big bill.

Sorry for the thread hijack Non. I love your halfcrowns. When funds allow, I'm aiming for similar ones too!

I have one of these - an 06-plate Cayman S that I've had from new since March 06. Nearly 90k on the clock now and I still love driving it.

Much like coins - quality is indeed the key. I've never regretted pushing the boat out for the Cayman, even when it's thrown me the odd big bill.

Sorry for the thread hijack Non. I love your halfcrowns. When funds allow, I'm aiming for similar ones too!

Most people struggle to afford the Cayman rather than a few halfcrowns. :huh:

Wow, good on ya, Stuntman! Never ever begrudged a man the trappings, even from the perspective of being skint!

This is the one of the wonderful insights that pastimes like this brings, where people of all walks of life can meet at a common point!

History and coins are a pretty good meeting place for Caymans and £1k Hyundais!

Brilliant! Love coins!

My latest Halfcrown, an upgrade on my current 1887 (No Cayman unfortunatly)

post-8826-0-48532000-1446553115_thumb.jp

Edited by Nonmortuus

I certainly wasn't intending the post to appear boastful, so I apologise if it came across that way. And the car's perhaps only NVF given its considerable circulation, or maybe 'Bold VF for issue'...

In any case, I am out of work at the moment so any funds are being used extremely sparingly until I start earning again. No coins, no cars, no art... and only a little bit of whisky ;)

• Like 1