British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Nons "What crap has he bought this time?" Thread.....

So, as you all know from the repeated question threads I am only just getitng into this so I am bound to make some major cock ups along the way but I thought I would share the odd bits and pieces I pick up as I go along. I would welcome any comments regarding grades etc The more you guys comment the more I learn.

I plan to add pics as and when I get the coins.

Thanks

Non

That is OK...max loss £4.00

Try and buy top quality otherwise you will regret it.

I think I paid about £4 for this:

Lol, brilliantly titled thread!

Maybe a quid or two over, but a nice coin...what it's all about!

It's low-grade, but pretty. For a few quid that's money well spent!

I echo the comments above, which is possibly what you expected to hear!?

Keep em coming, nothing we like more (except arguing about debating grading and TPGs!)

Edited by Paulus

A birthday present..... sort of...

Again lower-grade, but everyone's got to have a Young Head Victoria Sov. in their collection. :)

I would love to buy top quality stuff but alas my pockets are not that deep. On the more exspensive stuff I buying the best I can afford. As you all know a differnce in grade upwards can make a huge difference. I figured I could slowly build up a collection, decide what I really want to focus on and then start upgrading/trading what I have to get what I want.

A birthday present..... sort of...

Again lower-grade, but everyone's got to have a Young Head Victoria Sov. in their collection. :)

Yeah, for the price that was paid I figured worst case I have the bullion value at todays spot price and I am only a few ££ down.

I would love to buy top quality stuff but alas my pockets are not that deep. On the more exspensive stuff I buying the best I can afford. As you all know a differnce in grade upwards can make a huge difference. I figured I could slowly build up a collection, decide what I really want to focus on and then start upgrading/trading what I have to get what I want.

I think you raise a good point that's often missed by a lot of us who have (or have had) large collections, and long-since moved beyond that desperate feeling of not really having a collection until you've got a few coins.

If you don't go crazy, I think buying a few lesser grades is a good thing, but stick to a small area and keep looking for the same coin and dates for upgrades. You'll lose a bit of money this way but, boy, when the 3rd upgrade drops on your door mat, you'll come close to skimming your first purchase across a lake, such will be your enlightenment.

To be honest it's no good expecting novices to buy well from the very beginning, whatever advice is given, because you need to know what a rubbish coin is first. If you have to rely on experts from the outset you'll never come close to becoming one yourself...just don't make your education too expensive. :)

I did exactly the same thing as you...and so did everyone else on here, whether they admit it or not!

The only consolation I can offer you re the money you'll lose along the way is that, one day, you'll sell one or two that will start to address the balance, especially when the time comes that you make fewer, and hopefully smaller, mistakes?

Happy collecting Nons!

• Like 3

Gold prices are quite low at the moment (the lowest for around 5 years), the bullion value of a full weight sovereign is currently around £160 - if you only paid a few £ more than that I think you did well.

As Coinery says, we all start off on this path, and the trick is to keep mistakes to a financial minimum. Upgrades are inevitable, but do factor in commission and postage when buying and selling at auction (including eBay).

At the end of the day it's a hobby, and the process of acquiring, attributing, and trading coins is enjoyable in itself, along with owning and admiring your collection.

Keep a record of what you paid for each coin, who from, and when.

Many dealers will offer a no quibble refund if you are not happy (for any reason) with a coin once you have it in hand and/or will send you a coin on approval at no cost to you. This gives you the huge advantage of being able to examine the coin in hand before committing to the purchase, rather than relying on photos (often only 2) and subjective descriptions and grades.

It's also helpful if you can focus on a collecting area, or at least one area at a time, rather than trying to collect any and all coins from any period and any country.

Make full use of this Forum, it's the best free resource there is, for English coins at least.

Just a few of many many tips that so many on here would offer I am sure!

Above all, enjoy it NM! :)

• Like 2

Thanks the the advice gentlemen. I feel my biggest problem at the moment is now know exactly what I want to focus in on so I am buying a bit of this and a bit of that. Everytime I think 'right I will focus in on XYZ' something else comes a long that I like the look of.

I spent a good hour or so with one of the few shops I have found within an hour of me who actually has a few trays of coins to go through. He had some very nice high grade coins but again I did not feel confident enough to jump in. To be honest I would have felt more comfortable if he had had a few sovereigns due to the BV factor and minimising any loses.

I really need to decide on an area and try to learn as much as I can, with Sovs in mind I have bought Marsh and I am slowly reading my way through it.

Believe it not advice given here is rubbing off on me and I have passed over a few relativly nice coins in my price range due to rim knocks etc or knowing that for a bit more I can go a grade up.

Birmingham, I went to Bridgnorth today and stumbled upon the aforementioned shop.

Birmingham, I went to Bridgnorth today and stumbled upon the aforementioned shop.

So you've got the Coin Fair right on your doorstep? :)

In that case, you must attend the Midland Coin Fair, held every month at the National Motorcycle Museum, Bickenhill, Birmingham, B92 0EJ (Opposite the NEC on the M42/A45 junction), next is Set 13th at 10 am. Seek out our Rob (RP Coins) and talk to him. Peter also likes it a lot, and goes regularly. Wish it was nearer to me!

Or did you know about it already?

Edited by Paulus

Yes I have been the last 2 months, It is where the Sov above was from. I will look for Rob next month for sure!

I will look for Rob next month for sure!

He's pretty scary, but I reckon he'll give you a princely reception if he knows you're from here! ;)
  • Like 1

Well I will hold fire on any more purchases until I go to the next fair but I still have other pics of 'my crap' to put up over the coming days :)

• Like 1

My advice would be to buy minimum EF grade (if its affordable to you) lower grade coins will sit and sit and eventually As you've said in your Post (Start upgrading) which is a Little false economy because you're effectively paying twice for the similar coin but just in a better grade. Its better to have 10 coins in high/top grade than 100 coins in low grade, it will mean a smaller collection but worth more.

Just my opinion, each collector is different in their approach to collecting

• Like 1

I must admit I bought a 1843 half farthing in Near EF grade (strict ) with 20% lustre for about £4 at the birmingham coin fair this year

Everytime I think 'right I will focus in on XYZ' something else comes a long that I like the look of.

I still get that feeling...

I wouldn't disagree in principle with anything people have posted on here about buying the best you can afford, and trying to get a minimum of EF grade. It's a perfectly sensible and practical way to go. However, there are a couple of caveats. Firstly, that's only really a workable policy for readily available coins and dates, unless that is, you have infinitely deep pockets, something most of us don't have.

To give an example, if you are a collector of all coins Edward VII, you may well be able to obtain most coins in EF or better for reasonable money. However, if you are a completist, you will want a 1905 halfcrown (and florin and shilling) and you are not going to get these for reasonable money in EF. A halfcrown in Fine alone will likely set you back £500, whilst in UNC you could have to pay around £10k for the best. In this situation you have a choice. Either ignore the hole in your collection or accept that you have to lower your grading goals, at least for this one date and type. Most of us who are completists have this dilemma from time to time and we usually compromise our grading ideals. Only today, there's an example on another thread where davidrj has managed to complete a date run, but the final coin is in pretty low grade, but I bet he's happy to see the gap filled.

http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/9947-still-a-completionist-at-heart/

The other point is that those who say that buying lower grade means an upgrade later with more cost are quite right for common coins. However, for less common ones, filling a gap and waiting for an upgrade may be the only way to have the satisfaction of achieving a collecting goal, but it may not cost you money either. For instance, I have a complete date run of halfpennies back to 1672. Of these just about the most difficult to find is the 1689. I bought a River Thames find in near fine condition for £400, some years ago and filled the gap. Eventually, I bought Nicholson's example which is in GF maybe NVF, as an upgrade. I have no expectation that I can find an EF example, and even if I could, that I could afford it, so I have to remain satisfied with the one I have. However, the Thames find subsequently sold for £450, so there was even an up side to the upgrade. I guess the point I'm making is that when it comes to rarities, the idea that upgrades will cost more than buying the best you can doesn't always apply.

A final thought and that is that although you can see the ideals for collecting on here, don't run away with the idea that every coin collector only collects in absolutely top grade. It may seem so based on people's comments, but in reality most collectors compromise on some coins some of the time. If they didn't, you wouldn't see the volume of sales on ebay that you do, and dealers wouldn't even bother offering lower grade material, but they do, all the time. It doesn't make you a less serious collector, just because you don't always collect high grade.

And finally, finally, for what it's worth, your half farthing seems a perfectly reasonable buy for £4 to me. No, it's not top grade, but it's not the worst either. Based on your pictures, wear is very even all round and the colour looks nice, and I reckon you'd easily get your money back on ebay if you wished.

• Like 5

Agree completely with your Post Dave, of course not everything is obtainable in EF for a decent price, i should have said the more common coins. If you continue down that route the 1905 silver will be a Little sore on the Pocket in EF As will 1850 and 54 shillings etc