British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Nons "What crap has he bought this time?" Thread.....

George V threepences from 1911- 1920 are quite common in good grade they are also very cheap - you can often find them for around £5 each

Here are a few new additions as I have not posted in here for a while: 

1911-hc-3.jpg

1911-hc-4.jpg

1905-threepence.jpg

1887-sixpence-21.jpg

• Like 4

They are very nice! I love the 1911.

A few new additions, apologies for the pictures I am having problems with them at the moment!

A couple of early milled but common dates Sixpences:

1757-sixpence.jpg

1878-sixpence-no-hearts.jpg

Also a new Halfcrown:

1914-hc-5.jpg

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 3

Would be very happy to have any of them in my collection especially the 1787 6d which looks, to my untrained eye, to be a gem.

Hi Nons,

Whats the grade on that half crown? It looks like a high one. Well Jell, as the young people say:D

When you look at the picture under magnification you can see how the metal has been compressed around the tops of the letters. Wonder what the tonnage of pressure is used when they are stamped?

54 minutes ago, IanB said:

Hi Nons,

Whats the grade on that half crown? It looks like a high one. Well Jell, as the young people say:D

Hi Ian. NGC have it as MS63. It does have some bag marks etc but it has one of the best ears I have seen on a 1914 Obverse to date which is why I took the plunge on it ?

The Sheldon scale is a bit of mystery to me and having just read through it, its still a mystery:blink:. 11 different versions of a mint state coin is just too much IMO.

Anyway its a cracking coin and just the type I am looking for, for my collection.:wub:

I agree its a nightmare, I use the ebay guide from @AJWcoins (thanks Andrew!) as a rough guide when comparing the Sheldon scale to LCGS and British grading. As I said the main reason was it was a nice strike on the obverse, if it had less bag marks I would be happier but out of the 5 1914's I own it has the most fully struck ear.

• Like 1

Some recent additions, I do like the Half crown and the Groat looks much better in hand. Again none really qualify for coin of the week but the Groat means 1 more box ticked for now. The shilling is currently in a dodgy NNC slab but I intend to break it out ASAP.

1918-hc-4.jpg

1838-groat.jpg

1758-shilling-2.jpg

• Like 7

The groat is fantastic

Having just started collecting, so complete newbie, I am curious as to why people collect (and why me lol). I can see from previous posts that for some its collecting a coin from each year and others it about collecting the best example of a particular coin. I shall just be happy to have a reasonable example of the most common coins from as many different British monarchs as possible; some will be in unc condtion and most definitely not. I am curious however, if its possible to be sold a coin that has been worked up to a higher grade. Does that happen? My interest began when I came across a plastic bin full of old coins in Gloucester Antique Centre. I was helping my 10yr old niece to dig through and find a coin from each 20thC monarch...and I was hooked lol. Great forum btw.

On 15 July 2017 at 7:38 PM, Cryogenick said:

I am curious however, if its possible to be sold a coin that has been worked up to a higher grade. Does that happen? 

Welcome to the forums  Cryogenic :) 

The worst example of what you mention is where someone has cleaned a coin to make it appear 'nicer' - this is the biggest no-no, as no cleaning can affect the wear that has already occurred, and will reduce its value.

Another example is of people applying artificial lustre (or polish) to an EF copper to make it seem BU. Slightly trickier for the novice to spot, but with experience they soon become obvious.

A third way is for a coin that has sustained some wear to be 're-tooled' so some of the detail appears to have been restored. Again, to someone familiar with the design of a particular series, this is obvious, but a beginner might be fooled.

You can't make a coin 'better' than it is, with the exception of removing crud or very bad toning using very gentle and careful methods. If you're in any doubt, and you have pictures, do post them and we'll give you an opinion.