British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Nons "What crap has he bought this time?" Thread.....

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Two good buys there I reckon. I've just paid £2.60 (including postage) for a 1929 farthing and now I feel a bit robbed. :(

I think yours is a better strike than mine too.

DSCF7563.JPG

DSCF7564.JPG

If I include the postage the Farthing was £2 ish off the top of my head. I think using a different way to light your coin (day light LED lamp) for the photo may throw up more detail :)

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

MBE  The strike quality is important to me.I would of passed on your 1929 1/4d 

Go get another one as you can't have too many farthings...no damage done.:)

7 hours ago, Peter said:

MBE  The strike quality is important to me.I would of passed on your 1929 1/4d 

Go get another one as you can't have too many farthings...no damage done.:)

Yeah, not always easy to tell from a photo. It's still better than the one I had. Another one'll turn up sometime. :)

Latest newbie, an upgrade on the one I had... again I don't think it warrants a post in acquisition of the week hence putting it here:1916-hc2.jpg

Very nice Non!:)

Nice HC Non, I like the deep profile of the obverse.

Still room for another upgrade :) as the strike on the Rev is weak in places.

2 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Still room for another upgrade :) as the strike on the Rev is weak in places.

Always room for an upgrade :) Thinking about it, I probably only have 2 or 3 coins from my whole collection that I can't see need upgrading! Most I'm happy with, but would still trade in for a better example if I found one.

A few newbies, Half pennies and Half Crowns. I am never sure whether to post here or coin acquisition of the week. These are upgrade for me but I imagine are nothing compared to a lot of those in people collections. Should I stop posting on this thread?

Halfpenny Edward VII 1910.jpg

Halfpenny George V 1918.jpg

15 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Should I stop posting on this thread?

No. But how many 1918 / 1916 half crowns do you own? Why not just buy one good one? :P

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

No. But how many 1918 / 1916 half crowns do you own? Why not just buy one good one? :P

3 x 1916 and 2 x 1918. I am constantly looking at upgrades and as I am still relatively new to this I am finding it extremely helpful to have them in my collection to compare. What I would have considered EF 8 months ago has most certainly dropped to at least aEF based on the comparisons between what I own. I will eventually move them 'spares' on but for now I like having them in my collection, especially if I snag a bargin or two along the way :)

• Like 1

I had to look really hard to assure myself that the last two 1916s on the thread weren't the same coin. :rolleyes: You do always seem get them for good prices though, I'll give you that. Gotta love a bargain. :)

A couple a upgrades this week although I am still struggling with 1914 Halfcrowns.

1914-hc2.jpg

1916-hc4.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, very nice coins. I sure like that last '16 HC that is so very deeply struck. Keep posting here, the other post is a bit unwieldy.

• Like 1

Nice example...one of the most harshly graded series due to the artificial darkening (in my opinion). The dark lustre encourages us to perceive what may just be lustre loss as wear because it is so visually obvious. If you took a light finished full lustred coin and removed the lustre in the places that are evident on this coin, I doubt it would even be noticed!!

1903 is a tougher year than many appreciate..and is the low tide year for this series.....

• Like 1

Nons....Looking back how this thread started I can't see how you've upped your game!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: Lovely Bronze Sovereign :)

• Like 1

I have not posted here for a while but here are a few newbies which were either relative bargains are just had eye appeal for me :)

1932-hc-2.jpg

1902-penny-2-pcgs-ms64.jpg

1919-florin.jpg

• Like 1

Worth the wait Nons. Super coins.

The 1919 is about as good as they get in my opinion :)

Thanks both :) I am trying (it is hard) to keep my powder dry for the September auctions.... but I am still buying the odd thing here and there is I like it :)

Another newbie, this was only £3 ish posted and seemed a decent grade for the money.

1913-threepence.jpg

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Another newbie, this was only £3 ish posted and seemed a decent grade for the money.

1913-threepence.jpg

A good buy at 3 quid

Definitely!  Very nice.