British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

Modern Indian Sovereign (Delhi not Bombay)

Hi,

The Sovereign was produced in the Indian city of Bombay for one year only in 1918.

In 2013 and 2014, Indian sovereigns were produced again but this time in Delhi. I thought this was going to be a regular thing like the modern Perth Sovereign (since 2009) and produced annually but I can't seem to find a 2015 Indian sovereign.

Does anyone know if the series has been discontinued after 2 years?

Haven't heard anything about one this year either but I highly doubt it would be discontinued this early - seems like it was well received in previous years.

Maybe try contacting the Royal Mint?

I contacted Royal Mint as suggested, and they've confirmed that the Indian Sov has been discontinued :(

I did prompt RM but they did not explain the reasons behind this decision. That's a real shame, but it probably means that anyone with 2013 and 2014 Sovs with "I" mintmark ought to hang on to them as they will probably increase in value.

I'm honestly surprised by that. Maybe a change in regulations in India or something prompted it.

Possably the fall in price of gold helped this along too

India has spent the last few years trying to reduce its deficit in part by restricting the sale of gold. Offering new products would be contrary to that policy. Obviously if it was for export only then it would not apply, but most Indians just can't get enough of the stuff.