British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
CartwheelTwopence

1900 Penny Countermark Identification Help!

post-8432-0-10680400-1439317233_thumb.jppost-8432-0-35230500-1439317232_thumb.jp

Hi, I have recently bought a 1900 penny (see pictures) from a 30p box as I found the countermark interesting. After trying to search the numbers on the internet, however, nothing comes up. Does anyone have any idea of what "EC654 66" means, or why it would be printed on a coin?

By the way, there also seems to be something on Britannia's arm and what looks like a tiny signature or scribble near QV's head.

To me it looks like the number has been added by machine press rather than hand punched, as the didgets on the thicker parts of the coin seem to be impressed the most, if hand stamped I would expect the didgets to be more iregular.

I wonder if it was someone making themselves a make shift "tool chit"? My grandfather worked as an engineer in heavy engineering, he used to have a tool chit (I think he had more than one, as he was a senior engineer) used to collect tools from the tool store, they were about the size of a penny and were stammed with his works number. I wonder if someone lost theirs and made themselves a new one? I know mines used a similar system for taking lamps out, also used as a security check so they knew exactly who was undergrownd.

Just a thought.

To me it looks like the number has been added by machine press rather than hand punched, as the didgets on the thicker parts of the coin seem to be impressed the most, if hand stamped I would expect the didgets to be more iregular.

I wonder if it was someone making themselves a make shift "tool chit"? My grandfather worked as an engineer in heavy engineering, he used to have a tool chit (I think he had more than one, as he was a senior engineer) used to collect tools from the tool store, they were about the size of a penny and were stammed with his works number. I wonder if someone lost theirs and made themselves a new one? I know mines used a similar system for taking lamps out, also used as a security check so they knew exactly who was undergrownd.

Just a thought.

The 'C' might, therefore, be an abbreviation for Colliery?