British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mr T

the pennies of 1922 and 1926

Yes, the latter it was speculated was struck in different gold alloys to test the new Egyptian gold to be struck by the Royal Mint. What I thought interesting is that there would be so many bits shipped off to Pretoria, and in many cases NONE necessarily retained by the mother mint (e.g. the 1922/24 proof sets).

Well, I confess to border teeth length and thumb length changes still don't impress me as major changes the way say Old Effigy vs. Mod Effigy would be.

Edited by VickySilver

I found a second 1922 "Dot" in my circulated coin box. pics below. I tested it with a standard 1922...both have the same ring, and both are 9.5g in weight.

Just found one in a box! Love it. That's some box you have there, Bob.... :)

I found a second 1922 "Dot" in my circulated coin box. pics below. I tested it with a standard 1922...both have the same ring, and both are 9.5g in weight.

Just found one in a box! Love it. That's some box you have there, Bob.... :)

I guess that was a little confusing the way I stated it..."circulated coin box!" Actually it was in a holder, and cataloged in a coin storage box! Ha,Ha! I did not remember having a second 1922 of that type, at the time however. :) Does anyone want to buy one!.....

for face?

:) ..........

Just imagine, that would be 0.4 pence! Postage maybe 10,000 times that!

Regarding the 1926 with "pattern" reverse. It seems to be a hybrid of Freeman reverses B and C. It has the slightly larger figure of Britannia as on reverse B but has the border teeth of reverse C which are slightly longer and fewer in number (184 as opposed to 187 on reverse C. I assume that it's an interim stage of development of reverse C. It was sold at London Coin Auction in March 2009 as part of the Roland Harris collection (as a 1926 M.E.) and was previously part of the Andrew Wayne collection sold at LCA in June 2006 (as a 1926 M.E.). Neither collector seems to have recognised the non-standard reverse but it was later brought to my attention by another collector who had spotted the difference from the catalogue. I bought it shortly afterwards at Croydon Coin Auction in May 2010, again as a normal 1926 M.E. penny having recognised it as the Roland Harris coin from the CCA website.

Edited by rashenley2
  • Like 1

The pattern is a beauty !, a real gem in such wonderful condition !

I'm so envious Rash !

1926 Penny Obverse 4 with New Pattern Reverse.

Excellent coin. On the reverse just at the tip of the teeth, there seems to be almost like a very thin linear circle running all the way round. Is this a line or just the photo?

The line is also on my own photo of the coin and looks quite deliberate. I'll check out the actual coin. Maybe part of the design process ?

Images won't open for me so I can only see the thumbnails. By definition, I would not get your hopes up

I can remember seeing a 1922 GB florin in gold at a coin fair in Sydney back in the 1980s. When I asked about it I was told that it was struck for Egypt which seems to confirm what has been said previously.

Ah, yes, the Royal Mint was supposedly testing alloys for the new gold Egyptian coinage and used florins struck in gold with the accepted alloy being .875 and having a counterstamp "A" affixed at the mint. That and the Norweb specimen are the only ones I know of in private hands.

Just curious Richard, do you count the denticles on all your pennies? If so, that is true dedication!

Ah, yes, the Royal Mint was supposedly testing alloys for the new gold Egyptian coinage and used florins struck in gold with the accepted alloy being .875 and having a counterstamp "A" affixed at the mint. That and the Norweb specimen are the only ones I know of in private hands.

Just curious Richard, do you count the denticles on all your pennies? If so, that is true dedication!

Sadly I do - that way I discovered the pattern QEII obverse which Michael Gouby now calls C*. It also makes identification of some coins more precise. And it comes in handy when I can't get off to sleep.......

• Like 2

Sadly I do - that way I discovered the pattern QEII obverse which Michael Gouby now calls C*. It also makes identification of some coins more precise. And it comes in handy when I can't get off to sleep.......

Richard, good lead on the sleep thing, I may give that one a try! Ha,Ha.... :)

Regarding the 1926 with "pattern" reverse. It seems to be a hybrid of Freeman reverses B and C. It has the slightly larger figure of Britannia as on reverse B but has the border teeth of reverse C which are slightly longer and fewer in number (184 as opposed to 187 on reverse C. I assume that it's an interim stage of development of reverse C. It was sold at London Coin Auction in March 2009 as part of the Roland Harris collection (as a 1926 M.E.)

What coin did you count 187 rim denticles on? I've counted the rim denticles on a couple of Freeman C/Gouby d pennies and get 184.

Regarding the 1926 with "pattern" reverse. It seems to be a hybrid of Freeman reverses B and C. It has the slightly larger figure of Britannia as on reverse B but has the border teeth of reverse C which are slightly longer and fewer in number (184 as opposed to 187 on reverse C. I assume that it's an interim stage of development of reverse C. It was sold at London Coin Auction in March 2009 as part of the Roland Harris collection (as a 1926 M.E.)

What coin did you count 187 rim denticles on? I've counted the rim denticles on a couple of Freeman C/Gouby d pennies and get 184.

Sorry - my typo. I should have said reverse B. Freeman reverse B (Gouby reverse B) has 187 teeth. Gouby reverse c (not listed by Freeman) has 181 teeth. Gouby reverse d (Freeman C) has 184 teeth.

Hope this clarifies.

• Like 1

Ah good - I thought I was going crazy because I counted the beads on both a 1927 and 1928 and got 184 both times.

Ah good - I thought I was going crazy because I counted the beads on both a 1927 and 1928 and got 184 both times.

I'm told it's good exercise for the optic muscles.......................

• Like 1

Or not, don't think they're quite like quads....

Hi Rashenley, did you manage to check the line running around the Penny reverse?

On 12/16/2015 at 6:40 PM, just.me said:

Hi Rashenley, did you manage to check the line running around the Penny reverse?

I will get back to you on this after Christmas - I promise !!!!!!

Hi Just.me

I've checked out the pattern reverse under a 10X magnifier and the border teeth look just as if they've been stuck onto the coin - the line you see on the photo is a very slightly raised edge as if a ring of teeth has been stuck onto a coin with no teeth. I'm hoping to get one of these digital microscope things in the new year and if I can master the technology, the pictures should be very interesting.

Happy New Year to all penny collectors and to those of other denominations........

• Like 1