British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Michael-Roo

The Nicholson Halfpenny Collection.

I know the archive is no longer on the Colin Cooke site, but does anyone know if it is still available anywhere else? I've had no luck searching for it.

Thanks all.

I thought I had a spare catalogue, but it appears not. If I come across one I'll let you know. In the meantime, I can fill you in on any details you want to know and provide images for a few dozen which I have, or have had at some time in the past. I can certainly point you in the direction of others giving maybe 25-30% of the collection images.

Thank you Rob. If you do, I'd certainly have it from you.

I had wanted to know if he'd listed an example of a William III halfpenny with the B of Britannia struck over another letter, most probably an R.

No he didn't, but there are so many errors in this reign that any collection is likely to be missing more than just a handful.

Thanks, and you're quite right.

I'm a big fan of the early milled copper and, just for the hell of it, I bought this off ebay recently. Not great, I know (LOL). Listed as 1699. Its 1st bust, but definitely not the 1699 mule as the last digit of the date, although unclear, is not a 9 (maybe a 5?). Look at the B though, what do you think?

post-8388-0-34765000-1438990698_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-28235000-1438990726_thumb.jp

Edited by Michael-Roo

The reverse is double struck. 2 arms to Britannia and a couple of exergue lines. It could be malformed because of this as the B is just about on the rotated exergue line. There's too much going on in a critical area to convince me it is an unambiguous R.

I see what you mean. But, for it to correspond with the faint exergue across Britannia's legs, whatever's going on underneath the B would surely be way off from that position?

You've got Britannia above and the date below the exergue line. There is potential detail all over the area concerned. It could be a pythonesque foot for example.

Ha! Yes. Dead parrots etc. The underlying form is very sharp though, whatever it is.

Michael

Message Neil at CC coins.

My dealings there make him a collector and not just a business.

I'm sure he will help.

Each of the collections require putting into print/ebook.

Come on Chris and Neil. :)

that was you was it...

i was after that, and btw... I think it is 1697. I pulled out way before, to me its just poor details with letters recut.

I have stumbled across this site.

http://www.farthingshalfpennyerrors.com/

I myself have stumbled across a halfpenny, 1696.... with farthing N's..

which isn't on there, but a 1695 is

so I need access to this as well

Edited by scott

Ah, Scott, but you DID want it. ;) And, as our No.1 'go to guy' for early milled error coins I'm sure it was the odd looking B which attracted you too.

If you look closely, there seems to be something crossing at 45 degrees underneath the B. Anyhow, I'll report back when it arrives.

no, i was more interested in the grade, and how weak the design is compared to the letters, plus the N nearly touching the arm.

Yes. I see what you mean. That N is unusually close, isn't it.

For me the grade is rather low, but I will sometimes make allowances for something which appears unusual.

Either way, there's always plenty of fun to be had searching out early milled oddities, as I'm sure you'd agree! :)

the wear itself isn't that bad... its more the die.

I know the archive is no longer on the Colin Cooke site, but does anyone know if it is still available anywhere else? I've had no luck searching for it.

Thanks all.

Anybody know how to get to the cache archive from previous versions of a website? This used to come up on search, but doesn't any more.

Anybody know how to get to the cache archive from previous versions of a website? This used to come up on search, but doesn't any more.

http://archive.org/web/web.php is the site to try.

http://archive.org/web/web.php is the site to try.

It may have 432 Billion pages saved but not the ones we are interested in. However, tadaaah - try this.

http://www.colincooke.com/collections/nicholsoncollection.html

It doesn't all work exactly as it used to, mainly because the images mostly have to be separately accessed, but the links do seem to work. Haven't checked them all though. Is there any way of saving this for the future, by archiving or downloading?

Edited by DaveG38

It doesn't all work exactly as it used to, mainly because the images mostly have to be separately accessed, but the links do seem to work. Haven't checked them all though. Is there any way of saving this for the future, by archiving or downloading?

There's this: https://www.httrack.com/

I remember playing with it years ago but I can't remember if it was any good - it still exists seven or eight years later so it can't be too bad anyway,

Nice work Dave!

Photos appear for part one only (unfortunately), but the descriptions for coins featured in all parts are still there.

…...But photos of coins featured in parts 2 to 6 can be accessed by clicking on the empty boxes next to their descriptions.

Thanks again!

Nice work Dave!

Photos appear for part one only (unfortunately), but the descriptions for coins featured in all parts are still there.

If you click where it says image it brings up a separate tab with the image - as Dave says above.

Edit beat me to it

Edited by rooneydog

Neil Paisley of Colin Cooke Coins has informed me that the missing collections will appear back on his website in the near future.

I salute you Neil.

:)

Hello all,

I saw this posting and felt i should comment to Michael-Roo on the question about his William III halfpenny, im all very new to forms so here goes my second attempt ever.

I did see this coin and message the seller saying its not a mule but almost certainly a 1697 date and he should be careful to sell as a mule. He replied if the buyer was not happy he would refund them ! not the responsible answer i was expecting from a red star seller, any novice collector buy with caution from these places.

But on a lighter note about mules did you know there are four different types in existence from eight different dies, take a look at this website http://www.farthingshalfpennyerrors.com/ and look under William III Halfpenny for codes WIIIHE992 WIIIHE993 WIIIHE994 WIIIHE994A and see want you think.

Thank you ...