British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Advice please...

Hi all, I am after some opinions on two Halfcrowns up for auction on ebay (yes I know ebay /sigh)

George III 1817

George IV 1824

I really would apprciate people thoughts on what a fair price for this would be and what grades you would give to both.

Thanks

Non

First thing that jumps out at me is the same tone on both coins. 2nd is the seller, he normally has a little helper pushing prices, so don't expect them to come cheap

Bidding practices with this particular seller would be more my concern. But then again if you like the coin you just buy it.

Are you sure both are "shillings" :unsure:

I don't like either due to the obverse digs on both coins. The 1824 in particular seems to have taken a battering, whereas the 1817 is considerably more common and so you have a greater choice of nicer pieces.

So the toning is suspect in your opinion?

Not saying its suspect, but the look far too similar, he's maybe had a Little photography wizard run over it to make them look darker which appeals to people As they then know they've not been dipped. Bid with caution if you decide to

Edited by azda

Thanks all, I will steer clear based on what you have said and wait for the coin fair on Sunday.

Thanks all, I will steer clear based on what you have said and wait for the coin fair on Sunday.

If you look at the rest of his silver he has for sale, every single coin has much the same colour tone which in my eyes is impossible to have from George II to Victoria

• Like 1

If you look at the rest of his silver he has for sale, every single coin has much the same colour tone which in my eyes is impossible to have from George II to Victoria

Could have all been in the one collection, kept in the same cabinet, cleaned long ago then stored for 50 years, they would all tone up the same. Not really impossible. Just thinking.....

Could have all been in the one collection, kept in the same cabinet, cleaned long ago then stored for 50 years, they would all tone up the same. Not really impossible. Just thinking.....

This one Must have been in the Same box then, cleaned at the Same time and toned the Same way

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361349885744?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D361349885744%26_rdc%3D1

I think it seals the deal, No?

I agree with Dave on this, too many of this seller's coins have the same toning and / or photo effects

link

Edited by Paulus

This one Must have been in the Same box then, cleaned at the Same time and toned the Same way

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361349885744?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D361349885744%26_rdc%3D1

Im not defending the seller, far from it. Personally I wouldn't buy a thing off him,toned, untoned, retouched or whatever. I tried buying a few very random coins off him when he had another account and was mysteriously run up by the same bidder on all the items. Needless to say he probably bought them off himself!

Regards..

This one Must have been in the Same box then, cleaned at the Same time and toned the Same wayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361349885744?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D361349885744%26_rdc%3D1

Im not defending the seller, far from it. Personally I wouldn't buy a thing off him,toned, untoned, retouched or whatever. I tried buying a few very random coins off him when he had another account and was mysteriously run up by the same bidder on all the items. Needless to say he probably bought them off himself!

Regards..

If it was Gold then i can give you the bidder name that run it up ;) If you Look in the eBay section from around 18 months back you'll See something in there that i spotted with this seller and his gold. The Same bidder had tun up his gold auctions to the tune of 18,000 pounds, 30 mins after posting it they'd all gone and only his BINs were left, so he obviously reads the boards from time to time Edited by azda

Yep thats correct all bids were on gold, i have it recorded somewhere, i think he had 3 or 4 feedbacks or somewhere thereabouts.