British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sorry this is a bit of an off the wall question.

Does anybody know if the rulings from the Trial of the Pyx are published?

I'm trying to find out if the 2008 trial (or is it the 2009 trial that reports on 2008 coins?) mentioned the undated 20p mule.

Presumably some of this batch of coins should have been included.

Ian..

As it wasn't intended as an issue there is little chance it would be singled out for mintage figures. Given the error output relative to the total output for the year would be negligible, the sample taken for the trial is unlikely to have included an example.

There might be a mention that the error was allowed to be returned in exchange for a regulation currency piece, but only as a footnote IMO.

Thanks Rob.

I'm no expert but my understanding is that coins from every batch minted go into the pyx, but they are then thinned out for the trial itself. I assume the results are published but I haven't found any links or libraries that have them available.

I cannot emagine the mint has had to change even one mule 20p changed for a regular issue 20p , quite apart from the transport to get there what is the incentive?

I cannot emagine the mint has had to change even one mule 20p changed for a regular issue 20p , quite apart from the transport to get there what is the incentive?

No incentive, but they are obliged to exchange faulty goods just like everyone else. It's just their faulty goods enhance value, whereas everyone else's dimishes it.

Edited by Rob

how have these recent poor examples of minting got past this trial?

They get through because the pyx is nothing to do with quality control at the time of manufacture. The pyx is a check that the output was in accordance with the standards laid down, performed after a given period of time.

I'm no expert but my understanding is that coins from every batch minted go into the pyx, but they are then thinned out for the trial itself. I assume the results are published but I haven't found any links or libraries that have them available.

Good luck. I haven't been able to find mintage figures for non-UK coins let alone something like the trial of the Pyx results. Some government library might have them.

Further to what Rob has said, I remember reading that the selection of coins is now entirely automated, so if they're all tested together at the end of the year say, then the discovery would be made too late to do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the testing it mostly automated too.

They get through because the pyx is nothing to do with quality control at the time of manufacture. The pyx is a check that the output was in accordance with the standards laid down, performed after a given period of time.
Isn't it all a bit pointless nowadays in the absence of bullion value?

Yes

Well mostly anyway - all the precious metal commemoratives would still be tested but I assume they are a small percentage of what the mint actually produces in terms of numbers.