British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Thanks to Michael Roo for drawing my attention to this topic, one of the most interesting in relation to 20th Century coins. I have a slight disagreement with Michael Freeman about the date of the '1922 Modified Effigy' penny, but I'm partway through a series of articles that are on Mark's (Sound) website, also to be published by Coin News, so I'm afarid you will have to wait to read my own theory on it.

However, it's a fascinating subject and I've enjoyed reading all your comments about it.

Woo-hoo, welcome back Chris! :) :) :)

Mark and Chris I salute and look forward to the articals.

I wasn't even aware this type existed.

Nor me - I assume it's unique!

Has anyone tried counting the denticles on this coin? I got 158 for the obverse but none of the pictures I can find are good enough to see whether the reverse has 184 or 185 (the denticles on the Heritage photos at http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-v-modified-effigy-penny-1926-au-details-altered-surfaces-pcgs-/a/3042-29971.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515%C2'>

Has anyone tried counting the denticles on this coin? I got 158 for the obverse but none of the pictures I can find are good enough to see whether the reverse has 184 or 185 (the denticles on the Heritage photos at

secret santa have you tried counting the denticles?

Also, half of my previous post seems to have gone missing.

Hi Mr. T, there are 186 denticles on the reverse.

post-8244-0-89170200-1450262506_thumb.jp

Did you play around with the contrast or something to count the ones around the top? I kept getting lost and gave up because it wasn't clear what was and wasn't a denticle.

Yeah, histro-contrast up to 100%, brightness up a bit then zoomed in like a madman. The teeth to the border aren't so easy to spot, but the tips of the teeth are a little bit easier.

• Like 1

Yeah, histro-contrast up to 100%, brightness up a bit then zoomed in like a madman. The teeth to the border aren't so easy to spot, but the tips of the teeth are a little bit easier.

When counting I usually print it out A4 size and go around with a marker counting every 10, you don't lose count that way.

When counting I usually print it out A4 size and go around with a marker counting every 10, you don't lose count that way.

Sounds like a great way to do it, it's nicer to have a pen and paper too. Do you have to find high res pictures to do that so the quality isn't lost when it's blown-up tp A4 size?

Hi Mr. T, there are 186 denticles on the reverse.

I've always made it 184 - the same as a 1927 - I guess I'll have to count them again.................................................

Yes i think gary has the best idea ,doing them in tens or twentys as alfnail did on another post.

Yes that's much better, I get 184 too.

Here it is in tens, as suggested (different colour for each group of 10)

post-8244-0-79492100-1450266784_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11

Yes that's much better, I get 184 too.

Here it is in tens, as suggested (different colour for each group of 10)

Nice work Matt

Thanks secret santa and Nordle.