British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Michael Freeman has asked me to bring this to your attention.

"Could you mention that Heritage are auctioning next month the only known 1926 penny with Modified Effigy AND the 1927-36 reverseS. 4054A.In Long Beach auction no. 3042.I am sure lots of British penny collectors don't know this, and would be very interested in it."

Here's a link: http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/george-v-modified-effigy-penny-1926-au-details-altered-surfaces-pcgs-/p/3042-31060.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515

A very generous heads-up for the penny boys, I sincerely hope it goes to a forum member! Thank-you Michael!

Not that generous coinery some like this i would prefer nobody to see.

Hope no one on here is intrested

I imagine Steve (Accumulater) might be interested on here.

Good luck to you though Pete! :)

Edited by Nordle11

I wasn't even aware this type existed.

Ditto Peter!

"Could you mention that Heritage are auctioning next month the only known 1926 penny with Modified Effigy AND the 1927-36 reverseS. 4054A.In Long Beach auction no. 3042.I am sure lots of British penny collectors don't know this, and would be very interested in it."

Here's a link: http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/george-v-modified-effigy-penny-1926-au-details-altered-surfaces-pcgs-/p/3042-31060.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Does Michael know who the owner of the coin is? btw...I can't see that the index finger is any shorter than the regular coin. Is there another identifier?

Is S-4054A the book reference or something else? And any provenance?

Here's a link: http://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/george-v-modified-effigy-penny-1926-au-details-altered-surfaces-pcgs-/p/3042-31060.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Does Michael know who the owner of the coin is? btw...I can't see that the index finger is any shorter than the regular coin. Is there another identifier?

Coppers just posted a helpful link but I was going to say the trident points at a bead on reverse C but between beads on reverse B.

Is S-4054A the book reference or something else? And any provenance?

Coppers just posted a helpful link but I was going to say the trident points at a bead on reverse C but between beads on reverse B.

I think that S-4054A is the reference for the reverse in particular (used between 1927-36)

Just a reminder of what the bog standard 'rarity' looks like :)

post-7872-0-28249200-1438593326_thumb.jp

On a slightly different tack, do we know how this coin came to be produced? Deliberate test by the mint, a worker mucking about and producing a mule? And are there likely to be others out there that haven't been found yet?

I wasn't even aware this type existed.

see http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/8353-1922-penny-reverse-of-1927/#entry94002, Bernie mentions the 1926 variants

The 6 of the date doesn't look right to me. It seems too narrow...
Makes me wonder if is an altered date 1927?

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

The 6 of the date doesn't look right to me. It seems too narrow...

Makes me wonder if is an altered date 1927?

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

Second that ..... (also was the surface altered to mask the doctored date?)

Good luck Pete so far it looks like you are alone in going for this. We will get an indication on the interest on this coin when bidding opens. You are going to see no trouble from me on this.

Good luck Pete so far it looks like you are alone in going for this. We will get an indication on the interest on this coin when bidding opens. You are going to see no trouble from me on this.

Its not one for me can spend the money on other things mate.

A guy i no though is keen and he has a lot more money than me

The 6 does look dodgy, look at the bottom loop of it both sides, something is poking out

post-5057-0-92992800-1438614753_thumb.jp

Trying a bigger image

post-5057-0-56286000-1438614858_thumb.jp

Trying a bigger image

That looks like a 4 underneath that 6? The 2 looks tampered with too?

My penny knowledge is not top-notch, and I can't be doing with digging the books out, but would a 3 beneath the 2 also be something worth looking at?

Are we sure the slab is real?

Are we sure the slab is real?

You can take the slab number, and verify it with the grading company.

Even if the slab is real, is it possible that PCGS got this one wrong?

Even if the slab is real, is it possible that PCGS got this one wrong?

Of course it is possible. Every TPG has got some wrong. Cleaned, repaired, mis-attributed and anything else I've forgotten.