British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Hussulo

Error coins

Are you interested in error coins? What are your thoughts regarding the current values for British error coins?

Scott Wren has written a really nice article on the subject viewed from the prospective of a collector from Australia which has just been published in the UK edition of Coin News. If you do not get this magazine, I have been given the permission to publish the article on my website and it can be read on this page: error coins article

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject.

Very insightfull article - I believe that both this article and your sight are invaluable as they assist in spreading knowledge around the processes , the terms and as such thank you for sharing

Read the article with interest ,i have quite a few with the royal mint letters.

Hard to put a price on a coin that is really looked at being a curiosity.

For that reason you can get caught up in a coin you consider scarce but i feel the market is small and therefore does not increase the resale value.

Good you're still about Huss.

I will read the article later.

I enjoy looking out for major varieties but errors seem to be more a US thing (die breaks. cuds.double strikes ETC)

This has been brought out from the coin roll hunters.

Thanks guys.

Hi Peter,

I have been dipping in and out of the forum and reading posts but have been busy with work and family matters so not very active lately. But once the coin bug has got you its hard to shake off :)

• Like 1

Good to see a post from you!

I have seen your name pop up everywhere while error coin hunting :D

Great article and some nice pictures to match!

I have a link bookmarked for reading up on errors, it's easily one of the most comprehensive lists I've found so far, albeit directed towards American coinage. A lot is still applicable!

http://www.error-ref.com/

Great article, very informative! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the link Nordle. Errors are much bigger business in the US but they are gaining traction in the UK.

I recognise a few editors from that site, I have bought coins from Fred Weinberg before, hes a very knowledgeable guy on the subject.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the link Nordle. Errors are much bigger business in the US but they are gaining traction in the UK.

I recognise a few editors from that site, I have bought coins from Fred Weinberg before, hes a very knowledgeable guy on the subject.

Huss, Nice to see you back on the Forum. We've missed you! :)

Errors aren't my cup of tea - trying to complete a set of coins is difficult enough without getting into errors.

Regarding the price of UK errors - it seems to be they aren't popular which keeps the prices low, but I get the impression that they're more common than say, Australian errors because the Royal Mint has (and has had since the beginning probably) a greater overall output of coins.

They certainly do have a lot more popularity than over here, it would be nice to see some more people taking notice because invariably more errors would start to surface. Good to see that you've bought from someone from that site too, adds to the reputability.

Errors aren't my cup of tea - trying to complete a set of coins is difficult enough without getting into errors.

Regarding the price of UK errors - it seems to be they aren't popular which keeps the prices low, but I get the impression that they're more common than say, Australian errors because the Royal Mint has (and has had since the beginning probably) a greater overall output of coins.

Mr. T, I'm going to have to disagree with you there! I have to exclude the word 'Australia' from any searches I do purely because of the sheer quantity of Australian error coins that are listed. Having said that, I'm not 100% whether this is just due to the lack of popularity in England because they are very aware of the errors down under.

It does keep them cheap for the meantime, although there are some out there that command some serious premiums already so will be nice to see if there is an increase of decrease in value over the coming years.

Mr. T, I'm going to have to disagree with you there! I have to exclude the word 'Australia' from any searches I do purely because of the sheer quantity of Australian error coins that are listed. Having said that, I'm not 100% whether this is just due to the lack of popularity in England because they are very aware of the errors down under.

It does keep them cheap for the meantime, although there are some out there that command some serious premiums already so will be nice to see if there is an increase of decrease in value over the coming years.

Ha! I can understand that! I suppose the point I was trying to make is that when it comes to the more spectacular errors (i.e. not just a die crack, die fill, cud etc) they're not overly common in Australia as there's just less coin production.

Our local coin magazine has a regular column of errors though which tend to focus heavily on dies cracks, cuds and the like, and this coverage translates to ebay as you have found out - everyone is trying to wring a few extra dollars out of some pretty insignificant (and common) errors.

Ha! I can understand that! I suppose the point I was trying to make is that when it comes to the more spectacular errors (i.e. not just a die crack, die fill, cud etc) they're not overly common in Australia as there's just less coin production.

Our local coin magazine has a regular column of errors though which tend to focus heavily on dies cracks, cuds and the like, and this coverage translates to ebay as you have found out - everyone is trying to wring a few extra dollars out of some pretty insignificant (and common) errors.

Ah I see! Indeed I agree with that, the droll I have to filter out is usually die cracks and cud errors (gotta hate those cuds haha) and they're all between 2-5 quid each, so nothing extravagant! Certainly I've seen more brockages, strike throughs and broadstruck GB Coins in comparison to the Aussie ones, the errors that actually carry some sort of significance.

It's a shame that your local lists all of the nitty bitty things (especially the cud errors), it really just turns it into a quick scan instead of a good read. I don't mind a good die crack, as long as it's a good one (insert joke here).

I have a nice little collection of error coins on the side. If interest in them is low it keeps the cost down for me as not collecting as an investment. pics to follow of some of them.

1974 white metal. obv

post-7160-0-33316600-1438356289_thumb.jp

rev

post-7160-0-95583400-1438356541_thumb.jp

1990 20p

post-7160-0-33251500-1438356596_thumb.jp

rev

post-7160-0-49007300-1438356653_thumb.jp

2006 2p 180 degree rotation

post-7160-0-33458200-1438356720_thumb.jp

Blank 50p

post-7160-0-96337600-1438357294_thumb.jp

Missing in the post. Gutted!

post-7160-0-88282800-1438357379_thumb.jp

post-7160-0-01374800-1438357391_thumb.jp

1994 20p

post-7160-0-29043100-1438364063_thumb.jp

Nice coins Danz! Such a shame that the off centre strike got lost, that's a beaut. :(

• Like 1

Nice coins Danz! Such a shame that the off centre strike got lost, that's a beaut. :(

Or did it get lost?

I've had numerous approaches after an auction has finished, sometimes offering me a significant amount more than the final eBay price!

In a slightly different way it happened to me quite recently with a rare E1 Halfgroat that Dave won of mine on eBay! I was offered over £300 for it, just 2 days later! :(

I have avidly collected both mint patterns in off metal, and errors of same. These at one time were fairly inexpensive (such as a 1962 struck on penny planchet) but have gone up now in value by an order of magnitude. BTW, a blatant spam, but if anybody has redundant predecimal OMS please do PM me.