British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

US Liberty Head Gold Double Eagle

Does anyone have a view on how this coin might grade if it were slabbed by NGC or PCGS:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1899-UNITED-STATES-20-GOLD-LIBERTY-HEAD-DOUBLE-EAGLE-ICG-MS63-RICH-LUSTER-/351460932300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksi

It's already graded MS63 but ICG but I've never heard of them and just wondering if these smaller companies are more likley to overgrade coins.

Nasty dig on the obverse.

I would call it less than MS because it isn't.

Does anyone have a view on how this coin might grade if it were slabbed by NGC or PCGS:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1899-UNITED-STATES-20-GOLD-LIBERTY-HEAD-DOUBLE-EAGLE-ICG-MS63-RICH-LUSTER-/351460932300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksi

It's already graded MS63 but ICG but I've never heard of them and just wondering if these smaller companies are more likley to overgrade coins.

I think that would be a MS62 or maybe MS63 by PCGS or NGC.

btw Pete, I think that mark may just be a bag mark. Gold coins seen to mark easier due to them being relatively soft, and the $20 Double Eagle being so heavy.

I agree with that. Looks like a copper oxidation spot enhancing the bag mark and a bit also at the bust truncation...