British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
shillingsrfun

1681 Shilling that may be Scottish?

I have a Charles II shilling that I am unable to find in my books and hope someone can help? It appears it may be Scottish and googling has not provided me with any pictures. I'm attaching pics here...and am most interested in any information on this coin. Many thanks!

post-8621-0-57564700-1437867545_thumb.jp

post-8621-0-45498200-1437867563_thumb.jp

Yes its Scottish. The SCO in the REV legend and the thistles in the Angles gives it always and the fact Charles is Facing in the opposite direction to the English coinage, although i Wonder what that's about As he Never wanted to Face in the Same direction As Cromwell on his coinage

Edited by azda

Thank you for the confirmation! It was Charles facing the opposite way from the English coinage that had me stumped to start with. While the pics I took on my smartphone aren't great, it's quite a good looking coin imho.

I'm sure most Scottish Monarchs of that period face the Same way on Silver coinage but still unsure why it was different to the English coinage. Charles II especially who did'nt want to Face the Same was As Cromwell

Edited by azda