British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi guys,

I am doing a bit of research on Portuguese Medieval Mint Marks and, as part of this little project, I am looking mint marks in other countries: When were they used? Why were they used? Meanings, etc etc etc...

I would be extremely grateful if you could, please, send me some references, links, etc... that you think might be useful.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by palves

Google Trial of the Pyx. A change of mark usually followed the trial.The marks effectively tie down the coin to a particular period in time and so the Mint Master could be held responsible for the coinage. A slight variation occured in the Civil War where it appears that individual engravers had their own mark. In Saxon times the moneyer had to sign the reverse. Everything was to do with accountability.

As I understand it coins were either made directly by the Royal (or other) authorities, usually under the direction of a Master of the Mint, or private moneyers were given licence to produce coinage.

In both cases there needed to be a means for the Crown authorities to check the quality of coins produced met the required standards. So coins were marked in such a way by use of a private (known to the authorities and Mint Master/ Moneyer) or 'privy' mark. Then if there were problems the King or whoever would know who to hold to account.

This was no idle threat. At Christmas 1124, King Henry I summoned all of the English moneyers to Winchester, where most of them were castrated and had their right hand amputated for failing to produce coin of the required standards.

Later on other variants were used, such as assayer's marks on Spanish/American silver or engravers' marks on French coinage.

This coin for example bears the mark of the Paris mint (A), as well as the cornucopia (mark of the then mint director) and Artemis holding a bow, the privy mark of Augustin Dupré the then Engraver General!

Oddly it has no conventional numeric date, simply being marked as an issue of year (L'An) 4 of the Revolution (from September 1795) ...

france-5-centimes-l-an-4-a-1795-1796_zps

Edited by TomGoodheart

not just France, you saw it in imperial Russia as well

Thanks to everyone for all the hints.