British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nightvision

Concerned about sixpence

This will teach me not to impulse buy.

eBay no 400876766637 is a William iv 1837 sixpence. It has a weight of 2.02 grams (I will double check this on a better scale) and the alignment is off by about 200 degrees - basically coin alignment with a little bit over.

My spidey senses tell me this is not good and I need to contact the seller, am I right?

Sorry for lack of active link, I'm on a mobile device.

Here you go guy;

Link

#BeatyoutoitPaulus

;)

Edited by Nordle11
  • Like 1

I figured it probably wasn't a minting error; the weight difference is what really concerns me. What margin of error should i allow? There aren't any other obvious dubious signs that I can see, or any odd colour patches but then I'm not very experienced.

Looks like a bog standard 1837 sixpence in VF grade price seems about right but a rare date might be fake.

Dont like the orientation being wrong - should set alarm bells ringing

• Like 1

Nothing about it that 'looks' wrong to me! I'd definitely recheck that weight on some proper scales, though.

• Like 1

I figured it probably wasn't a minting error; the weight difference is what really concerns me. What margin of error should i allow? There aren't any other obvious dubious signs that I can see, or any odd colour patches but then I'm not very experienced.

I'm not well versed on silver or even this era but as it's nearly a third of the weight lighter than it should be and because of it's orientation I reckon you might want to have a chat with the seller.

• Like 1

If you aren't happy just return it under DSR.

• Like 1

And to add...very little margin at all at that end of the grade spectrum, maybe 2.75-2.8g?

• Like 1

Looks ok to me.

First thing to do is step back and check the references. The website giving the orientation is wrong as they are struck en-coin. My examples are so aligned, and all the books agree with this (Spink, Davies etc). Treat anything written down with a degree of scepticism until a couple of cross checks with the info provided satisfy you the article is generally accurate. We all make mistakes, particularly with copy and paste.

Next check the scales. The coin looks good from the images, so a weight that is genuinely 30% down would be a concern.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your advice on this, I'll keep you posted as I really need that second weigh-in!

The other possibility is that it is genuine and the blank cut from sheet intended for say a threepence. It can't be 4d sheet because they are smaller diameter and weigh 2g. Measure the thickness too while you are at it. It needs to be accurate though, so calipers are required.

• Like 1

Sure looks OK from the picture, and second Rob's thoughts. I have one somewhere, can't quite remember at the moment...

• Like 1

The weight with calibrated scales reads 2.30g - better, but an element of mystery still remains. Fortunately I do have access to calipers but at this point I've decided to hang on to the coin. Thanks again for all your input, it helped me make up my mind.

LOL....

When I clicked on the link, it says "TEMPORARILY SOLD OUT"

Intetesting

If you let the page load and then scroll down it is there ;)

Coin looks ok to me, Never thought of Rob's theory of the thin sheet.

• Like 1

The rim is high and the field comparatively thin on this coin, if that makes a difference. I'd be severely worried if it was temporarily sold out as I've committed my feedback now.

I'm aware this could be my first expensive beginners' mistake. It is an interesting coin though, I don't dislike it.

LOL....

When I clicked on the link, it says "TEMPORARILY SOLD OUT"

Intetesting

If you let the page load and then scroll down it is there ;)

Coin looks ok to me, Never thought of Rob's theory of the thin sheet.

When you have a halfcrown struck on less than 6g of silver, it expands your thought processes. ;)

• Like 1