British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

And a bronze on Black

P4190423.jpg

Edited by azda

Disaster has struck, my camera has died on me

:-/

Thought my question was better put on here.

I am currently having my collection photographed and all the raw coins are not a problem.

Unfortunately quite a lot are in slabs and hoped someone could help advise me on any software to chop the plastic out.

Thank you if anyone can help please.

Pete.

Pete, I don't know of anything that'll do that for you that's going to give you something that looks like the plastic was never there.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong though. I do know that the newest photoshop has a tool to remove unwanted things from pictures, but how well it will work on a slabbed coin, I don't know.

The pictures are spot on its to just put around it if i have not explained myself very well.

I notice some pictures have the slab chopped out with a background.

Ah not the plastic over the actual coin then, I see. In which case you can do it as easily as using a circle stencile in paint to crop it (not recommended) up to using photoshop to do it exactly.

It depends what programs you've got already on your comp, any photo editing software at all?

I have never used any so wasnt sure.

So i assume photoshop is something i can just download.

Thanks Matt will have a look and give it ago.

Give it a whirl, there are other programs out there that are free but they wont be half as good.

I use Serif Photoplus Starter Edition.

Free, simpler than Photoshop and does everything I need it to do for coin photos...

I use Serif too, but the Serif PagePlus package, can highly recommend their software!

Stuart, when it comes to hammered coin photography, you are the man!

Thank you for your replies.

I asked the question prior to a guy taking some pictures for me yesterday .

Fortunately he has in his opinion already something that will do the job although when he told me all about it went over my head.

I could not believe the amount of equipment they use just for a photo of a coin.

He had tripods ,lights ,umbrellas,big silver sheild things and took over all the lounge for the afternoon.

Pete.

not to that level yet, just started using a scanner this week had it nearly two years im not kidding. micheal asked to post some of my pieces so far. a 1721 stop after date halfpenny.

post-8907-0-02918600-1446602116_thumb.jp
post-8907-0-22170700-1446602126_thumb.jp

my first coin a 1799 halfpenny and 1754 farthing i got yesterday. Hope you like whole lot of other nice copper as well.

post-8907-0-55288300-1446659063_thumb.jp

post-8907-0-78315500-1446659070_thumb.jp

post-8907-0-42721400-1446659092_thumb.jp

post-8907-0-71794700-1446659099_thumb.jp

my first coin a 1799 halfpenny and 1754 farthing i got yesterday. Hope you like whole lot of other nice copper as well.

Nice 1754 TC. As you will have seen in the 'Let's see your copper ..." thread, a lot of us like nice copper ... of course!

last one for now a 1734 looks like a 3 over 1 mabye. so many variations on this coin.

post-8907-0-37586100-1446659846_thumb.jp

post-8907-0-09010700-1446659857_thumb.jp

not to that level yet, just started using a scanner this week had it nearly two years im not kidding. micheal asked to post some of my pieces so far. a 1721 stop after date halfpenny.

Nice Teecee.

You bought that on Ebay. I had it in my watch list, but didn't bid.

dont worry it found a good home, guy was selling it as a halfpenny. was that the one?

last one for now a 1734 looks like a 3 over 1 mabye. so many variations on this coin.

Hard to tell without a close up of the digits.

I have a few 1734s. These include a couple of date overstrikes and one which has the R over O on the obverse.

BTW: that's not a bad 1754 farthing for someone who's only been collecting for a month or so.

Keep it up Teecee.

Thanks micheal ive bought a lot of nice coins and medals. My wallet certainly knows it all too well.