British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I use a orange/brown cushion haha :lol::lol:

They look ok nordle only thing is you will have to keep the cushion for as long as you keep collecting.

Nice site and some nice pennies.

They look ok nordle only thing is you will have to keep the cushion for as long as you keep collecting.

Nice site and some nice pennies.

Yeah, I realised that after taking about half of the pictures haha.

I have that microscope now too, which is amazing by the way, and figured I could get some really detailed shots with it and find myself another background in the process.

And thanks Pete, many to upgrade and a few gaps left to fill, but I've only been at it a couple of years. I have to remind myself that when looking at, say, Steve's site (Accumulator) :P

• Like 1

Let's try a different coin. These are 2 pics of the same coin, taken with the same camera, which pic would make the coin appeal to you most?

1736_sh_rp_06comparison_02.png

Attempt number 329, this time with a black background ... an improvement? I am just too close to it now to make an objective judgement! :wacko:

1736_sh_rp_obv_08a_500.png

Edited by Paulus

Or this (attempt 330 - the only difference is in the lighting angles, but very important I know!)

1736_sh_rp_obv_10a_500.png

Opinions eagerly sought

Edited by Paulus

Thanks Pete, I know this is something close to your heart too!

No doubt I will try 331 and on and on, but I would so love to get it nailed! It will still be different depending on the coin, may be I am too bothered about it, but when I look at some pics I think why can't I get close to that? (e.g. BRG's), and when distance buying it is very important to take into account the 2 pics that are often all you have to go on, and appreciate that the coin may well look better/worse in hand ...

Not knowing how to make a picture that flatters, it is fair to say that the coin always looks better in hand. Taking consistently good images is a black art and one which I wish I could master.

Not knowing how to make a picture that flatters, it is fair to say that the coin always looks better in hand. Taking consistently good images is a black art and one which I wish I could master.

And that's really my point Rob ... clearly it is a massive advantage as a seller / dealer to have pics that flatter (but truly represent the coin in hand), while as a buyer, needing to have the coin in hand before making a final buying decision leaves us where we were before the digital age - and that's not always an option one would be willing to take, without an option for a no-quibble return.

Tell me, long before I started collecting seriously (8 years ago or so), how did it work? There were not web sites, or even pics available in auction catalogues in some cases, did you have to totally trust the auction/sellers' descriptions/grades? There must have been a totally different culture to it all back then! I guess reputations must have been crucial?

I would also love to know your views on the 4 pics of the GII shilling I have posted :)

Edited by Paulus

You used to have to rely on the quoted grades. That was the main reason I decided to start selling because I felt I was sending too many things back due to overgrading and could do a better job.

As for your 4 pictures, not knowing the coin in hand I don't know which gives the truest representation. Too my eye it is probably the one with the black background, though this can give the effect of brightening the coin based on my results and others I've seen.

I have invested a few more hours today trying to get better. If I can get anywhere near BRG's standard one day I will be over the moon!

Different coins will require different backgrounds, settings and lighting to show them off to their best (but faithfully of course!). When you only get 2 pics very often to display your coin it's important to choose carefully. I am still a total novice but feel I have made a leap forward since first posting this thread. I am trying different photographic scenarios for brighter silver, darker silver, toned silver, proof silver, and the same for copper/bronze. Yet to try gold, Cn, or other metals/alloys, although of course I have some.

I do feel coin photography is extremely important for all of us, as collectors who want good pics of their coins for various reasons, and for sellers/dealers who will wish to show off their items to best effect (disclaimer - I do not advocate or support 'photo-shopping' in any way!)

So for those who remain interested, I will post a few 'previous effort vs latest effort' pics for your frank and honest comments. Thanks to all who comment, be as brutal as you wish!

To start, here is what I consider a clear improvement (this falls in to the darker copper category):

Previous effort

1754_fav03.png

Latest effort

1754_fa_z01.png

Chalk and cheese to me - I can see obvious further improvements, but opinions as to whether you consider I am headed in the right direction very welcome :)

Edited by Paulus

Same coin I assure you :)

Which pics are more appealing to you?

Thanks NM, it really helps to get an impartial opinion :)

This will not be unique to my coin pics, there will be many variations of coin pics you come across that will be more or less flattering!

A hammered (mm Aardvark eating a wasp)

Previous best

1638-groat-aberystwyth_02.png

Maybe better (or maybe not)

1638-groat-aberystwyth-z011.png

Edited by Paulus

My 'benchmark' GII shilling

Previous best

1736_sh_rp_05.png

Does this seem better?

1736_sh_rp_z011.png

Edited by Paulus

I think you should try on just a plain black card or similar background paul.

Dont know if its me but the lines and marks detract my eyes from the coin with the background your using.

Sure you will get there mate and definately worth investing the time to get it right.

Were is BRG when we need him ?.

I'd agree with Pete' comment above about the background. Try out several different backgrounds plus different Lighting. I went from a pöain black background to plain white. The white is best for silver IMO but haven't bought any copper recently to try out on the white background.

An earlier copper from me

PC191671.jpg

PC191673.jpg

Edited by azda