British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
N888eds

Evening all , advise needed before I get ripped off

N888eds, Dave (Azda) poked me as promised, which wasn't as painful as it sounds!

I don't know what your expectations are but if you are looking at recouping what was paid to Keith Bayford you may well be out of luck. Myself, or any other dealer, would have to buy at a price where we can make a profit otherwise we become charitable organisations rather than dealers.

If you are thinking of using Corbitts I can't counsel against it. You will get an offer way below what you want but they have premises to run etc. You can give me a call if you wish or contact via email and I'll try to help as best I can, but please make it during normal working hours.

John.

Clive is just outside London, in Runnymede, or he says so on his website

I think he spends some time in Durham still? Not sure of the exact details???

You could try taking them to the Stamp and Coin Fair at York Rasecourse this Friday and Saturday. There will be plenty of dealers willing to give you their opinion after being able to see the coins in hand.

£500 for the half sov of 1820

£600 for the matt proof sov & half

would be my offer

of course this is based on just the pictures provided

Its difficult only judging from a photograph that doesnt really allow you to examine the coin properly. Like

argentumandcoins

said, i too would be buying them as a dealer and would need to make a profit on them. They arent without wanting to offend rare coins nor difficult to obtain, therefore they aren't quick sellers and would probably sit on my website for sometime.

A recent example of the 1902 sov didnt sell in a very well known American dealers auction for $400.

I ve been offered more

You should take it.

• Like 2

A deller offered me 300 more than your price , was only an idea of value , im not in need of quick cash but thanks

I doubt there are very many on here who could advise on the notes? Peter dabbles I believe? Mostly the two don't go together, strangely?

I doubt there are very many on here who could advise on the notes? Peter dabbles I believe? Mostly the two don't go together, strangely?

Ahh I see thanks so much for your help tho

Maybe ask Pam Weat for advice, she is a banknote dealer

Chris (Predecimal) does a great reference book on notes.

About 10 years ago I tried to put together a collection of £1 and 10/- notes.

I got most of them including replacement notes back to pre world war 11.

I started off when a good buddy(fine art auctioneer) gave me an unopened wage packet from 1940.

Being a 60's lad I often had 10/- and £1 notes in my birthday cards although my grandads brother always put in £5. :)

I'm no expert but enjoy the sideline (for my sadness I also have a collection of cheques)

would be my offer

a very generous offer -the most i'd offer is £480 - 1820 and £500 matt proof sov & half

would be my offer

a very generous offer -the most i'd offer is £480 - 1820 and £500 matt proof sov & half

Sold to a dealer today

Nice one! Hope you got something out of coming on here? Don't forget us the next time something nice comes your way! :)

Nice one! Hope you got something out of coming on here? Don't forget us the next time something nice comes your way! :)

I have an other lot of those 1820 sovereigns , but i may hold on to them for abit

Dealer paid a very good price for them , received some good advise from a few on here , but when it comes to selling i think il look into properly as i did with 3 i sold , good job i didnt jump straight in and sell to those who made offers , id have been a good 400 light

I have an other lot of those 1820 sovereigns , but i may hold on to them for abit

Dealer paid a very good price for them , received some good advise from a few on here , but when it comes to selling i think il look into properly as i did with 3 i sold , good job i didnt jump straight in and sell to those who made offers , id have been a good 400 light

In some respects your statement is not fair, as we all had some poor pictures to work from, some which were just taken from the net! £400 over three coins is not a lot, especially if the person you sold them to had the privilege of seeing them in hand?

This is the old problem of trying to make a financial judgement on images alone! You have to cover yourself by a small margin to allow for the details you can't see in an image, that could easily drag the resale value down by £600...what would you do if you were speculating on a grainy picture of a replacement car, which was due an MOT?

Glad you got a result though! :)

• Like 1

In some respects your statement is not fair, as we all had some poor pictures to work from, some which were just taken from the net! £400 over three coins is not a lot, especially if the person you sold them to had the privilege of seeing them in hand?

This is the old problem of trying to make a financial judgement on images alone! You have to cover yourself by a small margin to allow for the details you can't see in an image, that could easily drag the resale value down by £600...what would you do if you were speculating on a grainy picture of a replacement car, which was due an MOT?

Glad you got a result though! :)

Oh sorry I didn't mean too be cheeky towards anyone , I totally agree with what you say , my photos where terrible if I say so myself ,

Sorry don't mean to offend anyone wasn't aimed at anyone either sorry

The 3 coins I sold , have an other 3 or each of them , when the cash I've sold others for I'm putting into buying different ones , all a learning curve for me

The 3 coins I sold , have an other 3 or each of them , when the cash I've sold others for I'm putting into buying different ones , all a learning curve for me

Learning new things about it all is what keeps us going on here, we're learning every day! :)

All the very best to you,

Stuart

Slightly off topic but http://resizeyourimage.com/ is an online tool very useful for anyone wrestling with image sizes for the web. I think it was mentioned elsewhere that 600 ppi is a decent size to show off a coin.

If you use an Image Hosting site you won't have to worry about size

P6051354.jpg