British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Another newbie

Hi,

I have just started collecting and I thought I would introduce myself.

I am currently reading through the Rotographic grading book and generally trying to read up as much as I can.

I think intially my approach will be to buy coins I like the look off in the best condition I can afford over anything else but would welcome any advice you could throw at me.

This was one of my intial purchases and I would welcome any feedback on its general condition and grade so I can gauge what I believe it is against people who have being doing it for years.

post-8826-0-46715300-1436394713_thumb.jp post-8826-0-61315100-1436394714_thumb.jp

Thanks

Paul

1887 - commonest year for the type. Grade VF ish. The reverse looks better than the obverse. A few marks, but no real problems for the grade.

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated. What would the going rate be on that coin then? I bought it as VF for £22, hoping that I was there or there abouts price wise.

That's about right. I would have put it in the trays at 25

Welcome Nonmortuus (interesting Forum name, hereinafter known to me as NM for short!) - welcome both to this Forum and to the hobby. You have made a great start by buying a reference book on grading, and recognising at such an early stage that basing purchases on a combination of eye appeal and price is a great approach!

As Rob says, 1887 is by far the commonest date for this type, and these are easily available in high grades. I would agree with aVF as to the grade, and £22 being a fair price.

You will find that this site, and the internet in general (of course), are a great resource. I like to compare coins I am considering acquiring side-by-side on my screen with others that have recently sold at auction to give me a 'benchmark'. I also use Third Party Graders (TPGs) 'population' coins as reference. These comparisons also assist with learning how to grade, and, importantly, which issues suffer from weak strikes, which can often be mistaken for wear.

Are you interested in any and all coins or do you have any focus areas at this point?

Thanks for the welcome.

At the moment Victorian Florins and Crowns are catching my eye so I think I may focus on reading up more on these over everything else intially.

Welcome!

Victorian florins, (halfcrowns) and crowns are very appealing large silver coins from an exciting era. I get it!

There is plenty of really nice pieces on the market. Your example has been lightly polished - microscopic hairlines at certain angles will reveal this; it's also a bit bright for a coin that's 128 years old..

As rarity of this type of coin is not such an issue (except for a few rare years), look around for a piece that has less wear and original lustre - esp local dealer, but perhaps on the Internet (trusted sites only) and if you're feeling adventurous make a live bid on a coin auction site that occur at least once every month around the world.. I think you could do just a bit better for that money with more homework..

Let me know if you would like more details of where to look...

Good luck

Nick

I agree will all that's been said, with Nick's point on the clean being key. I would say slightly too much but, this would be a moot point, as a clean on a lower-grade coin would put it out of the running as a collector's coin for me.

You have done a great thing joining the forum, as you will soon find out!

Welcome aboard!

PS sorry to be a little harsh on your first intro. ;):)

PPS and whilst Rob's comments were very encouraging, you honestly wouldn't find a cleaned 1887 florin for sale in his dealer trays! You just wouldn't! ;):)

When you get down to VF, it doesn't matter if dirt has been removed by a light rub. At this level the real no-no is polished and buffed. It's frankly quite difficult to say how a VF coin with obvious wear got its marks. If it looks ok in the hand, it doesn't matter how it shows up with a flash.

Yes Rob you make a good point about photography, flashes etc. - I have saying :

Lies, damned lies and coin photography..

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. Reading is always good, that's the theory part, but having coins in your hand will give you better experience. My personal piece of advice is, don't buy less than EF these days, if VF is all you can afford then maybe try and save a little while longer, it will be worth it in the end. Most of all, have fun collecting, it can be a little cut throat out there these days.

Read through the forum, you'll see many varied topics, hopefully these will help on the journey.

There is also many many pictures on here of members coins, try and compare should a similar

Coin take your imterest. If in doubt questions are

Always free to ask.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback.

In my hand you can see the obverse has probably been cleaned at some point as the original toning can be seen around the lettering etc,especially under a magnifying glass, that has not been touched. The reverse, as far as I can see, has not been cleaned.

These initial coins I see as a being learning curve where I am bound to make mistakes. As long as I learn from them and they are not hitting me too hard in the pocket I do not feel overly concerned.

We all have to start somewhere right?

Welcome Nonmortuus!

You'll enjoy it here, plenty to read and tons of advice. :P

I am looking at that obverse and it looks cleaned the warning signs are on victoria's hair and the general look of the coin - it might have happened 60 years ago but I am pretty sure its been cleaned

Believe me, NM, we've all made mistakes...and still make them. The secret is to make them less and less often.

You are exactly right when you say buying a few that don't hurt the pocket is a good thing. You can't learn from pictures and books alone, you actually need to buy a few.

Most important of all, stay in touch with the community on here. You'll definitely look back and say it was the very best coin move you made! :)

Another reasonable coin.

Set your sights higher...go for the best.

I intend to aim higher, these were purchases made a week or so ago that arrived over the last two days.

You will fall into the upgrading trap.

You will fall into the upgrading trap.

Should I be feeling like Admiral Ackbar?

What should I be looking to avoid then?

i got a nice 1894 gef with lnice luster for less than a £10 note the other month - they are quite common all of the 1890's farthings are bar 1892

There are many factors aside from grade to consider, and these you will pick up as you go along!

For example there are these other things to look out for:

Lustre

Verd (or other atmospheric contaminating stains).

Nicks and bruises

Tone/patina (and evenness/attractiveness)

Strike (soft or not?)

Central strike (particularly with hammered, and some early milled)

And so it goes on! :)

There's lots to learn, but don't stress out about picking it up all at once, it takes years! :)

There she is, the female personification of Britain - symbol since roman times - Britannia holding shield and trident and wearing Corinthian helmet.. and showing her Naval strength. Queen Victoria would have loved this imagery.1894 in exergue

Edited by Nicholas

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of people on here with the knowledge to help you and offer advice.

I have spent hours looking at old posts/topics and still do always something to learn.

Pete.